Isuzu SUV Forum banner

I picked this Bronco up Saturday

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Rhodes 
#1 ·

And I'm already trying to unload it :)

http://joplin.craigslist.org/cto/3042897902.html

I got this from a guy, who got it from a guy, who got it from a father and son who put a motor in it and spent 6 months trying to get it to run (this was at least a few years ago) after putting 302 HO in it from a T-bird. The next guy (and all his buddies) gave it a year or so before he gave up and sold it to the next guy. He (and all his) buddies tried for another 18 months to get it to run, before he gave up and sold it to me for $450. I dragged it home Saturday, got it running and driveable on Sunday, and am doing a few other things to it (power windows don't all work, needs a windshield) and selling it.

So, here's the funny part....I told the guy, initially, that I'd get it running no matter what was wrong with it (provided the bottom end of the motor was sound) for $600, or if he wasn't interested in that, I'd buy it for $450, let him know when it was running and give him first chance to buy it, and for less than I'd ask for it on CL ($1200, Vs. $2000) and he said that was great. But when I called him the next day and told him it was running and he was welcome to buy it back for what we agreed on, he got pretty angry, and the conversation was short.

So....I did exactly what I said I'd do, and that makes me the dick? Someone tell me what I'm missing.

See less See more
#3 ·
Rockers were all loose, and I mean loose, not even finger tight, they'd all been turned in just a couple of threads and that was it. That was the big thing, and why it would never run for anyone that tried messing with it. The distributor was also in 180 degrees out, and the wires were not only put on in the wrong firing order, but also in the wrong direction.

So yeah, it was simple, but shouldn't be embarrassing, really. Most people don't know enough about motors to figure out something like that, and it actually took me longer than I expected to figure out the exact problem. My initial guess was that the cam was out of time with the crank, because as the engine was turned over it was actually pulling hard enough to nearly suck my finger in through the spark plug hole (and I have big fingers) once, which told me the valve wasn't opening when it should. Never occurred to me that some nimrod would put valve covers on over loose rocker arms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.