Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Spark Plug Q??

5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  FNFAL308 
#1 ·
Looking through the ISUZU FAQ guide I noted the recommended/required Spk Plugs for some years are the Denso K16PR-P11 plugs..

If you have a 2000-2004 Isuzu, make sure you only use Denso K16PR-P11 spark plugs. The 2000-2004 engines have the GM/delphi "ion sensing" ignition system where the spark plugs are used as a sensor (when they are not firing) to measure the electrical resistance of the gasses in the combustion chamber. Other plugs may cause the ECU to register a code (misfire code: P1340).
Since my Rodeo is an 01 I'll assume these are the correct plugs fr my engine. I've just looked at all my local sources and these plugs are not available.. I did find them on Amazon and E-bay however..

My Q is this:
Is there a BOSCH or NGK equivalent to the DENSO plugs?
Assuming there are a number of gents using these "correct" plugs where did you get yours?
Are these DENSO plugs what everyone is using or is there another/better option?

TIA..

#2 ·
I got them at Rockauto.com, others have got it from sparkplugs.com
I have a problem finding double plats and iridiums locally.
The parts guys look at me like im crazy and a spark plug is a spark plug. :roll:

#5 ·
There is nothing in the design of the Delphi Ion sense ignition system that requires the use of a specific brand of spark plug. I have been using Autolite single platinum plugs in two of my three Ion sense equipped vehicles for several years and they operate just fine. Better yet they cost 2 bucks each.

#6 ·
Thanks for the info so far Gents..

OK Rock Auto doesn't list the "exact" same plug/pt #? They show the K16PRU-11...

Sparkplugs.com however does (can't get a good link?):
Super Class Single Platinum Plug 3293 K16PR-P11 .044" (Original Equipment Manufacturer and/or Original Equipment Equivalent) $6.89

Or this one from NGK: (Note that the ISUZU is NOT listed inthe application chart?) http://www.ngk.com/results_cross.asp?pi ... 0&x=34&y=7

Buster28 said:
There is nothing in the design of the Delphi Ion sense ignition system that requires the use of a specific brand of spark plug. I have been using Autolite single platinum plugs in two of my three Ion sense equipped vehicles for several years and they operate just fine. Better yet they cost 2 bucks each.
I'm OK with this info Buster but it is contrary to the FAQ Guide?

Kinda "hoping" for a definitive answer here, it would seem to me that the OEM Plug or type plug would be the best WTG? While I did not put them in, my eng currently has the Autolight Platinums.. I get no codes and they "seem" to be burning fine but if there is a better option that's what I want to use.. Good Spk Plugs last for a number of years so while cost is a consideration it's not my main concern.. Spending a few X-tra $$ for a better plug is worth it to me.. I've done a number of Spk Plug tests on the DYNO over the years and learned enough to convince me that the right plug makes a difference in performance.. In this vehicle however perf & FUEL Mileage go hand in hand..

#9 ·
If your vehicle and my vehicles are operating correctly using Autolite plugs then it is clearly obvious that the requirement to use only Densu plugs is nonsense. Further, there is no documented evidence that shows that a Densu plug will deliver better fuel economy. Isuzu probably used Densu plugs because they were the low bidder on the spark plug contract.

#10 ·
My Father and I just had this same discussion yesterday! He is also trying to find a local shop to buy the Denso plugs. I have also read that some trucks (2000 Trooper in this case) came with Champion plugs as OEM He does not remember replacing them, but his mech told him that there were Champions installed. My 2001 Manual lists 3 plugs....... looks like 2 Densos and 1 Champion. We are probably going to go the online route and get the Platinum Densos.

#12 ·
AZneonguy said:
Have used these guys before they are good just pad your order to $50.00 add coupon code RETMENOT123 ($20 off) and get the K16PR-P11 for $4.20 ea

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... 79-P_960_R

or pad order to $75 and use code BIG 30 and get $30 off or pad $85.00 and use BIG35 and get $35 off your order... either way the coupons save you 40% not to shabby..... 8) 8) 8)
Didn't even think to call them to be honest, there is one a couple miles from my house & several in the area.. I kinda quite going there for most things when AUTOZONE opened up... When A-Zone didn't list them I just assumed Advance wouldn't have them either..

#13 ·
Had the time to do this today so I hit the A/P store on my way home from work.
The Local Advance carries DENSO plugs although I did not go with the Double Plats.. While I'm not a fan of AUTOLITE plugs Busters comments on the Ignition did make sense.. With That in mind I chose the DENSO Single Plat TT plugs at a whopping $3.00 a pop.. :wink:

Man I was kicking *** on the plug swap, after deciding to the WORST plug FIRST (D/Side Rear) I had all the coil sticks and plugs out in no time flat..
Having already gaped and never seized the plugs I was ready for the install and had everything done in record time..

Well except for ONE little mistake..
Can anyone guess what I did wrong? :roll:

Oh and I did note something I feel worth mentioning..
I inspected each plug I took out, and measured the gap on ea as well.. While I did note some wear of you will on the tips of the electrode all the plugs looked to be burning just fine..
However the GAPS were REALLY WHACKED!!
This "may" be partly from wear but I had gaps as small as .035 and as large .060.. Could this cause any run issues or any have any negative effects on performance or fuel mileage?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.