Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Intermittent Wiper Switch

3K views 27 replies 6 participants last post by  shooter 
#1 ·
H all, could anyone point me to a resource that will allow me to look up the part number of an intermittent wiper switch out of an 89-91 Isuzu Trooper LS? I think I might have found one at a local salvage yard here but they won't sell it unless I can confirm the part number.

Also, were there two intermittent switches available those years for the LSs? One with the cruise control and one without?

It's my understanding that I could just pull the switch out of an LS and stick it on my 89 S and it'll just work. Not having an intermittent wiper switch in Seattle weather is killing me!

Thanks in advance all, cheers

#2 ·
Whoops, nevermind! Found it here.

http://www.myisuzuparts.com/1989/519/8/ ... parts.html

Could someone confirm that this is the right part number?

1 SWITCH; COMB 8-94472-889-2 0 NA
VEHICLE OPTIONS: 4DOOR LONG , INTERMITTENT WIPER

THE PART LISTED ABOVE (1) EXCLUDES VEHICLES WITH: AUTO CRUISE CONT

#3 ·
dont forget to get the relay as well other wise you just have a switch and that is all

#4 ·
Ghost said:
dont forget to get the relay as well other wise you just have a switch and that is all
No additional relay needed if he's just swapping out two speed wiper for an intermittent wiper. Except for the stalk, everything is same, same. If the only one they have includes cruise and you have no need for the cruise function, just remove the 2-3 small screws attaching the cruise to the stalk and you're in business. Connectors are the same for intermittent as they are for non-intermittent.

#6 ·
No idea of the part number. They can easily change from year to year though they share a common application. You might take the number you have and search it against the http://www.stcharlesautoparts.com/ database. If the number no longer applies, search for intermittent wipers or whatever their preferred nomenclature calls for. Intermittent is a bit of a stretch though technically accurate I reckon.. It only has one time delay in it's intermittent mode. Better than nothing though.

#7 ·
Here you go. Once I dropped the characters following the "2", their data base recognized it.

Turn signal combination switch, trooper ii, w/pulse wiper, w/o cruise control
1991 $180.60 $153.51

Electrical - Chassis electrical - Switches - Turn signal combination switch

#9 ·
six_caver said:
I humbly thank you sir, this is most useful.

Cheers!
You bet. As you see, that number applies to the switch less the cruise control. Is the source of your switch not in a vicinity to where you could go take a look? One thing to keep in mind is some switches, such as on the pickup are rocker arm style and not the stalk type. Not sure about 86 and prior; any stalk from an 87-91 trooper should apply.

#10 ·
Yeah I'm thinking if this salvage yard thing falls through I'll just get the part from St. Charles Automotive. It's worth the $$$ in my opinion, especially with the weather we get here.

I'll take off the cover and see if I can dig up the part number of my current switch. But I'm fairly confident the switch that you pointed me to will work.

Cheers!

#11 ·
Your best bet is gonna be the salvage yard for sure! I just got one a couple weeks ago for $15 bucks! I have a feeling that no one will have a new unit on a shelf anywhere. And doubt that they are being made anymore!

#12 ·
Oh heck, don't buy a new one. If you don't find one local, go here: http://www.car-part.com/ Salvage yards across the country use this site to peddle their wares. That's where I got mine.

Under "Select Part", go to column switch. This will give you choices. Remember, with or without cruise is ok.

#13 ·
That's the site I used to locate the two local salvage yards in my area that had the part. I called one and they said don't have it. Geez, then it take off your online inventory then.

The other yard said, and I quote, "If you don't give me the exact part number of this switch, I won't sell you this part." :roll: Hence the earlier questioning about the part number. I just wanted to scream into the phone, I WANT TO GIVE YOU MONEY. WHY WON'T YOU LET ME GIVE YOU MONEY. I COULD BE BUYING THE DAMN THING FOR LAWN ART YOU SHOULDN'T CARE.

So it looks like I'm doing mail order. The next closest yard with a decent price is in Colorado :)

#14 ·
Never had that problem. Yeah, it's up to the individual vendor to update the inventory. You also have the alternative of a universal delay wiper which you can get from J.C. Whitney. It's just a simple splice in job with a potentiometer which ranges the wipe cycle from every 2 seconds or so up to every 20 seconds or so.

#16 ·
The only cool thing about the universal type set up is, it has more than one intermittent setting! But, I still agree with you about keeping it more stock, and clean looking. Good luck either way dude! :D

#17 ·
Yahoo!!!!! I managed to locate an LS at a local pull a part! So I'm taking the switch assembly off the steering column, when I go to disconnect the harness when I find out the harness has already been disconnected :shock: . Oh geez, someone has mucked with this thing before. This better not be bad news.

I go hook it up to my trooper as a test and the damn turn signals don't work, and only one of the lights work when the hazards are turned on o_O. I look at the assembly and it looks like someone has punctured it. Bunch of savages out there I tell ya.

Come find out it's only two wires that snapped off their solder points. A little solder here and there, and now I have a working intermittent wiper switch! Going to install this bad boy tomorrow at first light. Only $12!

I'd like to thank you all for all your helpful tips and suggestions!

Cheers!

#18 ·
:lol: I like stories with happy endings; and matinee prices.

#19 ·
Not to hijack yer thread, but is the independent wiper switch easy to remove ?
I looked at one in the yard last week. Someone had already ripped the plastic housing off the steering column and broken some of the internal parts, but it looked like it would be tough to fit a screwdriver in there with to remove the assembly.
Anyone have a PDF that shows the removal process ?
Mine is starting to work more intermittently than I'd like... :roll:

#20 ·
Indeed it is sir. The easiest method is to rent a steering wheel puller from your local O'Reilly's. (The rental is free, they just charge and then refund your credit card). Once you pull the steering wheel off, then it's just a matter of pulling off the wiper assembly. Grab the cruise control stuff off while you're at it! I got bit by the LS bug when I got the intermittent wipers, I just had to get cruise control working too :D

Also you'll want to loosen up the instrument cluster above the column. That way you can move the top plastic covering in order to slide out the wiper assembly. Of course you could just crack it off, but if you preserve the plastic housing, then you can use it when you upgrade to a cruise control system!

Cheers

Oregon RS said:
Not to hijack yer thread, but is the independent wiper switch easy to remove ?
I looked at one in the yard last week. Someone had already ripped the plastic housing off the steering column and broken some of the internal parts, but it looked like it would be tough to fit a screwdriver in there with to remove the assembly.
Anyone have a PDF that shows the removal process ?
Mine is starting to work more intermittently than I'd like... :roll:

#21 ·
Thanks for the info six_caver...I have a steering wheel puller already, so this should be a breeze !
Did you just grab the relays at the fuse block, or are there more under the dash that you need?

#22 ·
No relays needed. All you need is the assembly. It plugs into the same cable harness as the original. It's the easiest upgrade you can imagine.

Cheers!

Oregon RS said:
Thanks for the info six_caver...I have a steering wheel puller already, so this should be a breeze !
Did you just grab the relays at the fuse block, or are there more under the dash that you need?

#24 ·
Woohoo!! This will be my next fix to The Goat. I am so tired of 2 speed wipers, driving me nuts. Here in Northern Cal we get rain with some rain and a slight chance of rain all winter long and 2 speeds dont cut it. I had no idea the LS had and upgrade like that. THANKS for the post.

#25 ·
I too did this and like it though I wish it had more than one speed. As an alternative, those variable speed ones from JC Whitney work great. Though about installing one on my rear wiper though I never use it. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.