Isuzu SUV Forum banner

6 lug chevy rims

14K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  RWA3 
#1 ·
Will 6 lug chevy rims fit on my 91 trooper? I can get a set of 16.5s pretty cheap, just want to make sure they will work.

#5 ·
Watch the center hole size in other mfr's rims.

They may not be large enough to fit over the front hub on an Isuzu.

The bolt-hole pattern is the same so the only other concern would be a compatible offset.

#7 ·
What about the stress on the lug bolts if the center hole is to large? This was a few years ago but I once read an article by Motegi wheels (ricer wheel company) about whether the vehicle manufacturer designed the car to have most of the vehicle weight on the hubs or the lug bolts. I haven't ever given it a thought on my Trooper but my on my GTI the center hole on any rim has to be the exact size to slide onto the hub. This is so most of the weight is on the hub and equally distibuted on the lugs. If not I will snap the lugs and risk losing the wheel and yes I learned this the hard way.

Anyone else ever hear of this? How would it apply to Isuzus if at all?
Thanks
Craig

#8 ·
well im running chevy sized center holes on my 14" wheels on my luv. The hole is a bit bigger than my hub but i have yet to have any problems and i have jumped and wheeled alot in my luv. Ill be running the same style wheels on my trooper as well under the same conditions. My luv hasnt had a problem whether it be off road or loaded to capacity on road. I dont think this will be an issue.

#9 ·
I was talking to my friend tonight about the six lug chevy wheels he has and according to our guesstimations..hehe..with the difference in offset from Isuzu to chevy the wheels will stick out past the fender about 4 or 5 inches.....is this about right?....if it is im not too thrilled about that idea...

big tires out past the fenders might have been cool in the 70s but......

#10 ·
I have the nice 15X7 honeycomb factory alloys on my current Troop (Ebay specials), but have run aftermarket chrome wheels in the past that were not Hub-Centric; they just aligned on the lug nuts. Had no problems with them.

4"-5" past the fenderwells sounds like an awful lot of offset, it might put a lot of stress on the suspension parts.

Best thing to do, if you can bring a jack and lug nut wrench, is to remove the front wheel and do a test fitment.

Better than wasting $$$ on wheels that won't work.

BTW, the black Wagon Wheels are quite popular with the Off-road bunch, aren't too expensive, and are pretty strong. 15X7 is a good size for up to 31" tires, you might go wider with larger rubber.

#11 ·
the pickups run more backspacing than the troopers i guess. I do have a bit more so my tires dont rub but not alot. On my trooper i curently have the A/Ts i got for my LUV. They are only 28x8.50 so they are smaller but they only stick out as far as the plastic skirts on the bumper. It does help stability a bit though. So on a trooper it might not be a bad idea to run more backspacing... :idea:

#13 ·
the new chevy Trailblazer 6 lug WONT fit, the bolt pattern is 135mm, what you need is 139.7 mm bolt pattern. I think the trailblazer rims are like 5.3" not 5.5". So just be careful.

#14 ·
It's like this. There are two schools of thought when it comes to weight bearing with wheels.

Hub-centric. The weight of the vehicle is designed to primarily rest on the hub.

Lug-centric. The weight is designed to be carried on the lugs. We have six-lug hubs and drums on vehicles weighing 4500lbs and less.

It's plenty of weight bearing capacity.

Think about it like this - Unimogs are six lug. Granted, they're really big lugs, but they're still six lug.

6x5.5" or 6x139.7mm bolt pattern. If they slide over the hubs, you're golden.

Pretty much any wheel that'll fit our bolt pattern will fit on your rig, unless it's an older 14", which will have trouble clearing the brake calipers.

#15 ·
I've got a '91 trooper w/ the 2.8, 5spd. I bought a set a Chevy 6-lug aftermarket aluminum rims. The rears fit fine but the fronts were to small to fit over the hubs :( . So, I took them to the local machine shop and they bored the centers out to where they would fit. I paid $50 for 15x7 rims. The machine shop charged my $40 to bore'em out :) ....Chevy rims definetely work. I currently have Wrangler M/T R's on it, stock.....235/75/15, but they work.

#16 ·
I tried the rally type chevy truck wheels on my troop,but the centers were too small for the front lockouts... :( ...oh well...they were just gonna be temporary anyways. 31/10.50s woulda been a little over kill anyways with no lift I think.

(got my eye on those white spokes on his parts truck in his back yard though..hehe) Thought Id clean 'em up and paint 'em black....maybe some 30/9.50s........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.