Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Isuzu 3.2 V6 timing belt question!

20K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  94Rodayo4x4 
#1 ·
I was talking to jwood, and he told me that if a timing belt snapped it would not bend any valves and do other damage due to the engine being non-interference (only on the 3.2 v6). If this is true, does this mean if I were to get a Rodeo with a snapped timing belt and be able to put the timing back in place and not have any engine damage?

This could be a major game changer for me if this is all true.

Its the 1993-97 3.2 24valve v6.

#2 ·
most of my question has been answered. the engine is non interference, so if the belt did go while in use, the engine should suffer no damage correct?

#3 ·
It shouldnt have caused any damage internally. Are you able to take a peak behind the covers?

#4 ·
Dae said:
It shouldnt have caused any damage internally. Are you able to take a peak behind the covers?
no. the car is 2 hours away. but for $800 and (possibly) no engine damage, it could be a steal!

#5 ·
Nice! Keep us updated :D

#7 ·
I use my Haynes manual to wipe grease off my hands. The only thing good about them are the torque specs. But some of those are never updated.

The Isuzu 3.2L V6 engine is non-interference. But it still doesnt mean that should wait to replace the belt, until the original breaks. :shock:

Heres a quote.
trooperbc said:
if it is the isuzu 3.2L V6 engine there is NO doubt
it is NON INTERFERENCE

if it is *ANY* engine in an isuzu
it is long overdue for a change

isuzu change intervals for these engines started out as
60,000 miles
changed to 75,000 miles
changed to 100,000 miles -- the later for the newer engines with newer belts iirc.

nevertheless, most will give you a 100,000 mile window for these engines/belts. and *do not* count on the noninterference part as being your pass around the board, because you will find yourself in isuzu jail anyway when that belt does go, or the water pump freezes and you have severed covers etc etc etc . you are running on borrowed time.

when you do the belt NOW you will do all at the same time
timing belt
timing belt tensioner
water pump
and the timing belt pulley if it needs it (on inspection, bearings)
and some seem to like to do the front cam seals at the same time

//bc

#8 ·
+1 on the 3.2L being non-interference. Go buy that rodeo with the broken timing belt. The Haynes manual is wrong. Schucks website is wrong.

Your getting a good deal here unless it's trashed in other ways.

#10 ·
Dae said:
I use my Haynes manual to wipe grease off my hands. The only thing good about them are the torque specs. But some of those are never updated.

The Isuzu 3.2L V6 engine is non-interference. But it still doesnt mean that should wait to replace the belt, until the original breaks. :shock:

Heres a quote.
trooperbc said:
if it is the isuzu 3.2L V6 engine there is NO doubt
it is NON INTERFERENCE

if it is *ANY* engine in an isuzu
it is long overdue for a change

isuzu change intervals for these engines started out as
60,000 miles
changed to 75,000 miles
changed to 100,000 miles -- the later for the newer engines with newer belts iirc.

nevertheless, most will give you a 100,000 mile window for these engines/belts. and *do not* count on the noninterference part as being your pass around the board, because you will find yourself in isuzu jail anyway when that belt does go, or the water pump freezes and you have severed covers etc etc etc . you are running on borrowed time.

when you do the belt NOW you will do all at the same time
timing belt
timing belt tensioner
water pump
and the timing belt pulley if it needs it (on inspection, bearings)
and some seem to like to do the front cam seals at the same time

//bc
Thanks for that info Dae. Definitely adding this into my bookmarks. Hoping I can get this truck. for 800, it is a steal. But, I am not holding my breath. :roll:

#11 ·
CatFuzz said:
+1 on the 3.2L being non-interference. Go buy that rodeo with the broken timing belt. The Haynes manual is wrong. Schucks website is wrong.

Your getting a good deal here unless it's trashed in other ways.
well, with that, I can only beg my dad to take me all the way down to Cincinnati to look and get it hopefully. :wink:

#12 ·
You can't trust professional mechanics on this topic. They are in business to make money. It's easy to convince people that don't know any better that their engine is shot anytime a timing belt breaks because everyone has heard about someone who it's happened to. Add to that, the inaccurate documentation that is all over the place.

The people selling the Rodeo were probably convinced that they needed to have the engine replaced at eleventy thousand dollars plus tax so now they are selling it for whatever they can get.

Myself and others on this board have confirmed first hand that these engines are not interference. When I had my engine out, I did it. I made sure I had a few valves as open as they could get and with the tbelt off, turned the crank. No contact at all.

#13 ·
Thanks. I really needed to know this information. My dad and I were convinced that every engine we saw with a broken timing belt and such was a goner. You guys really are a big help, and this could pave the way to getting my truck. I have never been happier to be a Planet Isuzoo member! :D :lol: 8) :wink:

#14 ·
Cool 8)

#15 ·
Is it common for the head gasket to blow if the timing belt breaks?

#17 ·
rodeopassportenthusiast said:
No. No possible way for a broken timing belt to cause a blown head gasket.

#18 ·
CatFuzz said:
rodeopassportenthusiast said:
No. No possible way for a broken timing belt to cause a blown head gasket.
Ok, my crazy dad is asking all these questions.

#21 ·
I want to clarify my previous statement above on the timing belt. I am a new member and just bought my 2000 rodeo 3 weeks or so ago. I am not completely initiated in the way of the isuzu yet , so to speak. I have learned to trust the knowledge of others on this site, even when it contradicts tech manuals. I now wipe my butt with the Haynes manuals just as Dae wipes his greasy hands with his. :)

#23 ·
Well, in the end, this Passport vanished. We did get about 4o pics of it though, and it was nice, but something made it look like a lemon....maybe it was the giant hole in the frame near the leaf spring... :shock:

If i had a spare frame, I would have just swapped bodies. It was a nice truck, but really "religious" if you get my drift. (frame was "holy"). but I am still pleased to know what I know now as a result of creating this thread. The right one will show up eventually. I finally got a job, so now I will be making a little money.

read more about my quest here: http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=43638

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.