Isuzu SUV Forum banner

help! dome lights wont turn off.

9K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  NORCALsaysHELLA 
#1 ·
So today i noticed that my dome lights (and maplights on my rearview mirror) are not turning off after i turned off my car. i checked the continuity of the door jamb switches and they are all good. im guessing there is a short somewhere but i dont know where to start. as of right now i am just pulling the fuse for the dome lights to keep them off. but this no good for my alarm since it thinks my doors are open and if someone opens it it wont alarm unless they set off the motion sensor. The only things i can blame is that i jumped my co workers car which is probably not it, and when i turned off my car i heard a little screeching/high pitched sound that i hear every now and then when i shut it off (i think its from my aftermarket power door locks, my car didnt come with any) please help point me in the right direction! :cry:

#2 ·
This is going to sound REALLY dumb but don't you have a switch on your dome light to let you choose for it to come on with the door, stay off or stay on all the time? I've had people hit that switch by accident on other vehicles before and wonder the same exact thing.

#3 ·
RamAirZ said:
This is going to sound REALLY dumb but don't you have a switch on your dome light to let you choose for it to come on with the door, stay off or stay on all the time? I've had people hit that switch by accident on other vehicles before and wonder the same exact thing.
yeah. but i have maplights (i should have posted that sorry) on my rearview mirror which dosent have an off switch.

i am thinking of ditching the maplight bulbs and keeping the dome light off. but i want to get this fixed.

#4 ·
hm that's weird, I have switches for my map lights. Your dome stays on even if you mess with that switch?

#6 ·
gotcha. Maybe the jumpstart messed up your aftermarket alarm box? I've seen people lose alternators and other circuits when jump starting other cars before. Right now that's the only thing I can think of. But it's also late and I've had a few drinks with the wife watching movies lol.

#7 ·
Could also be the relay sticking. Had that in my pickup. Would stay lit for a while, then I would hear a "click" (somewhere behind the dash) and they would go off! Was so random I never bothered to fix it.

#10 ·
Ok if it not a relay

Does the door light, the one on the door that turn on when u open the door stay on too? if that is on that nean it a door that think it open. so then all it would need to shout out is a ground (think i right but also could be wrong too)

#11 ·
The dome light is controlled by the door open relay which is located in the dash fuse panel. The relay also controls the map light timer.

#12 ·
Anthonys101 said:
Ok if it not a relay

Does the door light, the one on the door that turn on when u open the door stay on too? if that is on that nean it a door that think it open. so then all it would need to shout out is a ground (think i right but also could be wrong too)
my truck is a base model and didnt come with the lights in the door :oops:

buster28 - ill check for the relay today.

#13 ·
I would take a phillips head screwdriver and unscrew the door pluger/the thing that tell when the door is open (one phillips head screw per door)... as you would unpluge it and it wouuld tell you where the problem is... mine was in the rear/ back hatch I was missing the washer and would make my light say on. But that one was my fault though :oops:

#14 ·
A closer look at the schematic reveals that the rear door switch does not control the door open relay, it used to turn on the dome light and/or the luggage room light directly depending on the individual light switch position( ON, Door, OFF). The rear door switch provides a ground for each lamp switch when the door is open and if the individual light switch is in the Door position, the light will illuminate. The rear door switch signal also goes to the Anti-Theft module and the Alarm and Relay module to control the rear wiper. A defect in these could affect the dome light/luggage light.

In your original post, you stated your dome lights and map lights do not turn off when you shut the car off. The power for the dome and luggage, courtesy lights and map lights is available at the time, regardless of the ignition switch position.

#15 ·
problem solved. whoever did my alarm system got lazy with one wire that ran under the passenger side dash from the door side to the centerconsole and left it hanging. i recently i tucked it in because people kept stepping on it. i guess i may hit a bump and where the wire was twisted with another wire which was exposed and not taped up started to touch a screw and got grounded. i moved it and my lights came back to normal. just glad it wasnt a short :D

btw thanks for all the input and help guys! its great to know that we have isuzu heads that can help us out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.