Home made Seafoam?

For all things chrome plated and greasy that don't mount to the truck

Moderator: Staff

Home made Seafoam?

Postby Way Amigo » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:26 am

Just wondering if anyone has tried this?

http://hildstrom.com/projects/seafoam/index.html
93 2WD Amigo 2.3 5 speed w/AC

90 4WD Amigo 2.6, 5 speed
Way Amigo
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 2 times

Sponsor

Postby psguardian » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:22 am

This is an interesting experiment. I think I like it. It harkens back to my teen years when an old mechanic said;

"Get 'er hot & drain the oil if you get black nasty oil then fill 'er up with diesel to the full mark & let 'er idle for 5-10min. Then drain it again, pull the filter & put new filter & oil in"

I have done this, on 4cyls & big block v8's, it works really well & seems to have no ill effect (just don't drive on diesel, not enough viscosity to handle any load or rev'ing). Never thought of doing it to trans / T-case / diffs though, probably work similarly... Get it hot, drain it, fill it with diesel/naptha or whatever, crawl around the block or up/down your road idling through the gears (for sticks) & then drain & refill with good stuff.

Nice find 8)

~psguardian
hot 2.6L build
Her Rig: '06 TrailBlazer Ext 4.0L Strait 6 (my Daily Driver till my rig is street legal)
Dae wrote:Jerry is the Chuck Norris of Isuzu's, he could build one blind folded with one arm behind his back if he had to. :lol:

PNW Zoo Facebook Group
psguardian
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 22 times

Postby fstroupe » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:24 pm

This recipe is not Sea Foam exactly, but it is similar.
How does he know? There are numerous different types of naphtha besides VM&P, which happens to be the cheapest and only one available at Lowe's.

I know some people that own dirt drag trucks. They also run a cabinet shop, and finish their cabinets with lacquer. They came up with a "racing fuel" that consisted of Xylene, Toluene, High Flash Naphtha, and lacquer thinner (that consists of the same three products plus a few others) and mix with some particular amount of gasoline. They swear by it.

When I was younger, people would mix moth balls with premium gas. Other people would mix a gas additive called "Wynn's Spit Fire" with Amoco Premium. (Amoco premium was lead free years before the government required gas to be "unleaded")

My point being: Did or does any of these contoctions work? I don't know...and they didn't/don't know.

Seafoam is $7 at Walmart. When I need some, I will get the real thing.

Everyone I know uses the diesel method you described.
1991 Trooper 4x4 2.8L 5sp...currently all stock
fstroupe
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Way Amigo » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:26 pm

fstroupe wrote:My point being: Did or does any of these contoctions work? I don't know...and they didn't/don't know.

This is a good point although I'm sure the folks using the racing fuel must have had some idea.

It would be nice if the site posted a followup showing results comparing the cleaning action of both.
93 2WD Amigo 2.3 5 speed w/AC

90 4WD Amigo 2.6, 5 speed
Way Amigo
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby stusvend » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:49 pm

psguardian wrote:This is an interesting experiment. I think I like it. It harkens back to my teen years when an old mechanic said;

"Get 'er hot & drain the oil if you get black nasty oil then fill 'er up with diesel to the full mark & let 'er idle for 5-10min. Then drain it again, pull the filter & put new filter & oil in"

I have done this, on 4cyls & big block v8's, it works really well & seems to have no ill effect (just don't drive on diesel, not enough viscosity to handle any load or rev'ing). Never thought of doing it to trans / T-case / diffs though, probably work similarly... Get it hot, drain it, fill it with diesel/naptha or whatever, crawl around the block or up/down your road idling through the gears (for sticks) & then drain & refill with good stuff.

Nice find 8)

~psguardian

I've heard of people doing the change at the top of a long mountain road, letting it coast all the way down and then drain it and put the oil in. :dontknow:
Matt
'88 Trooper LS 2.6L- 4 cyl, 5 speed manual. - SOLD :( (Replaced by 2012 Xterra Pro-4x)
'89 Trooper RS 2.6L- 4 cyl, 5 speed manual.
'69 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser- 3.9L inline 6, 3 speed manual.
stusvend
Subscriber

Have thanks: 65 times

Postby dman4486 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:51 pm

I hate to say it, but seafoam is $6.00 right now at advance...I think I'll save my time and just buy some
-Darren

GET YOUR PLANETZOO STICKERS HERE: http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38212&hilit=planet+isuzoo+sticker

1996 Honda Passport EX up 3" on 285 75's (33's) http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=38631&hilit=dman%27s+passodeo
2012 Audi A3 2.0T 6MT
2007 Honda Shadow 583 w/ mods
1973 Ford Maverick(drag) <--- Probably going soon
dman4486
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 14 times

Postby WillyLin » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:21 am

looks like the price of sea form here in salt lake city has gone up... i was around $6 year ago, now in wal mart and auto zone they sell for $9.99...
Image Image 1993 Trooper LS, auto, 169k miles, OME 919 + spacer >3" lift, TW 32" tires
Warn Manual Locking Hubs, Rancho 5000 Shocks, 3000k 55W HID Fog Lights, additional B&M ATF cooler, interior LED lights, subwoofer.
WillyLin
Trail Master

Have thanks: 10 times

Return to Tool & Shop