Isuzu SUV Forum banner

'99 rodeo turns over but wont start

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  JOHNNYA 
#1 ·
I have a '99 3.2 rodeo 4x4 that turns over but will not crank. I have changed the starter /selinoid and the fuel pump so far. The selinoid was going out and thought the fuel pump was. I'm getting a fuel pressure reading of 40lbs at the rail. That bumps up to around 42-45lbs when turning engine over. Also the fuel level on the gage isnt correct, wasnt before i changed pump either, it shows empty with 10 gallons in tank? Im doing a little at a time to fix it (on a budget) and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions where to check next? I have fire at the plugs and fuses all read good. In the morning im checking the crankshaft position sensor and the injectors. Anyone know what part # is for a noid light for these injectors? Thanks for any help.

Johnny

#2 ·
If you have spark, your crank sensor is working. The fuel gauge reading won't effect anything about it running. Mine reads empty all the time. Just haven't fixed it yet. But with a new fuel pump yours should be working.

How did all this start anyway? Did you check your timing belt to see if it's ok? The 3.2L is non interference so if your timing belt broke, your engine will be ok.

#3 ·
Yup, you're sending unit is out, that's why you don't get the gas reading...mine has been like this forever. It's annoying, but it hurts nothing.

As for your starting problems...Did you change your fuel filter when you changed your pump? Not likely the cause, but for $10 it may be worth a quick change if you didn't get to it yet.

#4 ·
Doesn't a new sending unit come with a new pump assembly?

#5 ·
Yeah make sure you've got power to the ignition coils and pull a coil off the plug and see if they're producing a spark. Bad ground can cause your ignition coils to not fire, also having a bad ignition ground can cause severe damage to the ECM and the ignition system will not work.

Yes, your timing belt could really be the culprit. Check all your fuses real well. ECM and ignition related.

#6 ·
Hey thanks for all the replies. I should have given more info on the rodeo. When i purchased it used we discovered the head had a crack in it letting the antifreeze leak out the exhaust port. The dealer went in half with me to get it all fixed. We replaced the head, went thru the other head and replaced a few valves. They also replaced my timing belt, and water pump.
Yes the new fuel pump came with the sending unit built into it. All this started with the selinoid going out. It wouldnt start at times but if you played with the ignition long enough it would eventually turn over then it just stopped. Also noticed sometimes you could jump it off and it would crank? The battery was replaced but still had the same problem. Well im off to check a few more things out on it, thanks guys.

#7 ·
Ok, I'm confused. Does the starter work or not? It sounded to me like the starter was turning the engine but it wasn't starting. If your only problem is the starter, then it needs to come out and have the solenoid contacts replaced. Not sure how you replaced the solenoid since they are a lot more expensive to replace than the whole starter. It's usually only the contacts that wear out and a contact kit can be had for about 20 bucks.

#8 ·
CatFuzz sorry for the confusion. The starter and soleniod have been replaced. I replaced both because as you stated the solenoid is an expensive piece and thru autozone both were just $130. I replaced them because the solenoid was bad. It works fine now but just wont start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.