Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Replace wheel bearing in '90 Trooper??

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Justin_J 
#1 ·
So I pulled the wheel and brake rotor off and got down to the hub. On all hubs I've seen there is a large nut that needs to be removed to get to remove the hub and the bearing, but on the trooper there is no nut, but instead a surface that looks like accepts some sort of special tool in order for removal and hub/bearing access. Anyone know anything about this, or have a link to some step by step instructions? Thanks!

-Justin

#3 ·
well if it is anything like my rodeo it should have two holes 180 degrees from each other and if it is that in my haynes it says to just use a screwdriver and unscrew it

#5 ·
Buy the right tool, they're not expensive and when it takes you 15min to do you'll be thankful, instead of trying and trying and cursing and slipping with a screw driver. Take anything in a haynes manual with a grain of salt.

This thread might help you, if not there should be plenty more on the site.
http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=37100&highlight=bearing+torque

#7 ·
ok thanks guys, but just one thing. I am replacing the rear wheel bearing not the front, and it is a 90 trooper not a passport or rodeo. I don't know if its different or not, and i'm sure you guys know what you're talking about, just thought it'd be good to check before i go and buy the tool.

#8 ·
yep, mae sure to use the right tools. I needed to drive my truck soon, so I did it ugly way by using a screw driver and hammer. Was it ugly by the time I was down with it, and had to get 2 new wheel bearing locks. It sucked.

#11 ·
Justin_J said:
ok thanks guys, but just one thing. I am replacing the rear wheel bearing not the front, and it is a 90 trooper not a passport or rodeo. I don't know if its different or not, and i'm sure you guys know what you're talking about, just thought it'd be good to check before i go and buy the tool.
Are you talking about the rear wheel bearing? If so, most likely need to pull the axles and have the old pressed off and new pressed on. If you're referring to the inner bearing on the front wheel, it's rather simple. The lock nut loosens easily with a phillips head screwdriver, round shank, etc stuck in one of the two holes and a little whack with a hammer, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.