Isuzu SUV Forum banner

265/75-16' and 245/75-16

11K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  -Deleted- 
#1 ·
OK, I've recently replaced all four shocks with OME firm shocks and 929 springs in the rear. I will be doing Indy4x torsion bars in front soon.

The 929's gave me about 2 1/4 inch lift in the rear.

When my stock 275/70-16's wear down I'm going to replace them with one of the sizes above in my subject line.

A couple of questions....

1) Do the 265/75-16's create a noticeable loss in power? The Trooper is no powerhouse to start with and with the automatic I'm wondering if I'll be disappointed with a larger tire.

2) Does anyone have pics of 265/75-16' or 245/75-16's on a '98+ on STOCK wheels that you can post up?

I'd like to see if the 265's stick out much (don't want rockssand flying up on the flares and side of the truck all the time)

Any issues with the 265's hitting/rubbing (keep in mind I do have a slight lift now).

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have 285/75/16's on my stock rims. Some have reported putting 305's on the stock rim. I think that 285's are the limit. My 285's don't stick out past the fender so I would assume that anything under that wouldn't either.

I was running 255's with no lift and had no problem with rubbing. I put a 3" lift on my Trooper when I got 285's so I couldn't say if they rubbed at all with out a lift. However, 2" will be fine for 265's. I'm pretty sure that you could put 265's on without a lift and it would be fine.

As for power loss, you won't notice much difference.

My opinion, go with the 265's. Besides, 245's will look too small with a 2"+ lift.

Here's what it looks like with a 3" lift with 255's that were pretty worn.

Here's with 3" lift and 285's.

HTH

#3 ·
Cliff: Santa Claus (a.k.a. FedEx) is dropping off a little something for you today..

Saturn, thanks for posting these pics (Farmington Canyon, I presume?). My question is: for the 3" TBC up front, have you dropped the front diff at all? If not, are you noticing any premature wear on the front CVs?

My Trooper is early-2nd gen (narrow track / no fender flares) so 285's will be a little too wide. It's a toss-up at this point between 265/75/16 and 235/85/16. I don't really need a lot of lift for what I do, so looking at coil spacers only for now.

#4 ·
When I need a quick fix for dirt I usually run up Farmington Canyon up to Francis Peak.

I have not done a front diff drop. I probably should but I really don't want to pull all that apart. However, I haven't seen any wear on the CV's. I'm not saying that it isn't happening, I'm just not noticing any yet. I also have not done a ball joint flip, which I should do too. I have about 20k miles on it since doing the 3" TBC.

The difference between 285 and 265 is only about an inch in total width. 235 to 285 is about 2 inches. I don't know how much it will stick out but I say go with what you feel comfortable with. If all you are going to do is a slight lift, like 1.5", then you may want to look at a 245 or 255 instead of 235. They will look better in the wheel well and will probably not stick out.

#6 ·
Nate: Thanks. Looking forward to getting the Aisin hubs.

Guys, thanks for the info. on the tires. I don't need a lot of tire for what I do. Part of it is for appearance and then part is more for winter traction which I do need.

I was investigating the following sizes (used the tiresize cal. from miata.net)
Tire Size Comparison

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
245/70-16 6.8in 14.8in 29.5in 92.7in 684 0.0%
245/75-16 7.2in 15.2in 30.5in 95.7in 662 3.3%
255/75-16 7.5in 15.5in 31.1in 97.6in 649 5.3%
265/70-16 7.3in 15.3in 30.6in 96.2in 659 3.7%
265/75-16 7.8in 15.8in 31.6in 99.4in 637 7.3%

I'm suprised that with the 265's you don't see much power loss given a 7.3% difference in size.

Have any of you corrected your speedo (assuming gears are available or do you just adjust mentally).

I'm looking at Dunlop R/T Maxx Traction tires (I really liked them after seeing the pics. of Neo's Trooper).

I can get either size locally 245/75 or 265/75 out the door (tires, tax, mount, balancing, new stems and disposal) for $675. I thought that was a fair price.

#7 ·
Don't have a Trooper; however I have owned a '97 Rodeo with the 3.2L 190hp automatic since new.

I've gone from stock size of 225/75 16's to 245/75 16's to running 265/75 16's...I've been running this size for 5-6yrs now.

I live at very high altitude in comparison to you flat-landers :lol: ....yes, I did lose *some* power going from the 245's to 265's, mainly just taking off from a light, but I was never one for mashing the throttle anyways, so it's not a big deal to me.

I DO notice powerloss sitting at 11,000ft and trying to merge on a highway of 55-60mph with 5 people, 3 dogs, and everyones crap in the truck..this is the only time, however, tires 2 sizes smaller didn't make for much difference in this situation either. 11,000ft mountain in and of itself robs the engine of all power.

I however feel very comfortable power wise running around with the 265's and wouldn't care to ever switch back to 245's.

#9 ·
Very nice pics. I ended up going with the 265/75-16 (Dunlop M/T Maxx Traction) so with the 929's and OME shocks we have the same setup.

Your Trooper is so clean underneath -- you suck! (just kidding of course).

I did get mine up this weekend, I sprayed everything down with Simple Green Max Automotive and then power washed it using my power washer with hot (120 degree water).

I like to clean the salt off well. That will be all for nothing tomorrow since it is supposed to snow again shortly!

It's a losing battle.

#10 ·
ssmokn said:
Very nice pics. I ended up going with the 265/75-16 (Dunlop M/T Maxx Traction) so with the 929's and OME shocks we have the same setup.

I did get mine up this weekend, I sprayed everything down with Simple Green Max Automotive and then power washed it using my power washer with hot (120 degree water).

I like to clean the salt off well. That will be all for nothing tomorrow since it is supposed to snow again shortly!

It's a losing battle.
Funny thing is, I havent even cleaned the underside yet. When it warms up a bit I will use some oil eater and go to town....then ill take pics.

#11 ·
Trooopah said:
ssmokn said:

It's a losing battle.
Funny thing is, I havent even cleaned the underside yet. When it warms up a bit I will use some oil eater and go to town....then ill take pics.
Go ahead rub it in :)

#13 ·
I got a call today that the tires I ordered on Monday where in already.

After work I stopped by my house and pulled the wheels and brought them down to the tire shop.

I ended up going with the Dunlop M/T Maxx Traction in 265/75-16. When I first saw these mounted next to the Geolander's in 245/70-16 that were on the Trooper I said to myself damn those Dunlops are tall.

After getting them home and on the truck I'm thrilled. Just the look I wanted and hopefully the snow performance i need too. I credit Neo for tipping me off on these tires. He put a larger size on his Trooper and I really, really liked the tire.

They are heavy though... The Geolander's that came off were 35 lbs each and these are 50 lbs. I noticed immediately when I was loading and unloading the mounted rims.

Also, got $200 cash for my Geolanders already and the total on the Dunlops turned out to be $665 (ten cheaper than original price because I kept the old tires so they removed the disposal fee). So $465 out the door.

I owe you guys some pictures. I'll get them soon. It was dark by the time I got the wheels on and torqued and installed the centercaps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.