Isuzu SUV Forum banner

2001 Isuzu Trooper CV Axle Install

15K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Gizmo42 
#1 ·
Got a 2001 Isuzt trooper that I have stripped down to the spindle. I am replacing the cv joints and axle assembly on the passenger side. Have hit a snag as I cannot figure out how to proceed from here. Do I have to remove the upper as well as the lower ball joint assembly in order to make it work ? Can I do this with a pickle fork or does it require a special tool ? Any help is apprciated. Thanks

#2 ·
Havent done a trooper but here is how I do it on 2nd gen rodeos...

Loosen upper ball joint and hit the knuckle hard with a large sledge hammer. 2-3 good whacks should loosen it.
Do the same with outer tie rod.
If there is an ABS sensor wire, unplug it and remove the brackets holding it.
Remove upper shock nut and move shock out of the way.
Remove brake caliper.
Remove hub and snap ring on end of cv axle.
Remove band around inner cv boot (large end).
Pop out the keeper ring holding cv cage in the cup.
Pull steering knuckle toward you as far as you can and slip the cv out of the inner cup and towards the front of the vehicle.
Slide cv shaft out of steering knuckle.

In non rust belt states all that should only take about 1/2 hr to complete.

#3 ·
Thanks Dave. You said you broke the outer tie rod and upper ball joint. Did you have to totally detach them ? Are they a bear to get back in ?

Also by "Outer tie rod" are you referring to lower ball joint ? Mine has upper and lower ball joints and steering joint.

Thanks
wxyoung

#4 ·
Had to remove the upper ball joint and outer tie rod. I just broke them loose at first until I got the rest of the stuff removed. Very easy to get back together, the hardest part is getting them to separate to begin with. A few good hits with a 3-4 lb hammer usually gets them though.

Outer tie rod is refering to the "steering joint".

With both of those disconnected the steering knuckle should be able to swing out far enough to get the cv axle out of the spindle.

#5 ·
Thanks Dave. I had so much trouble trying to break my joints with a pickle fork and a regular claw hammer that I gave up believing that I may have been doing something wrong. Will get back after it on Friday next. Thanks again. Wxyoung

#8 ·
Camiel said:
You can't just slide out the inner CV out of the front axle :!:
Its hold in there with C clips, so to remove the inner cv (halfshaft to the diff.) you have to drop your entire front axle.

Camiel
Thats only if you are replacing the inner cv cup along with the rest of the axle. If you have the same kind of axle for a replacement and the inner cup is ok, you can just pull back the inner boot and remove the keeper ring inside then replace just the axle.

Here is a write up on replacing the boots. Pretty much the same procedure for replacing the axle shaft if you are not replacing the inner cup with it as well...

http://www.4x4wire.com/isuzu/tech/CVboots/

#9 ·
Thanks All...GIZMO42 when you say same kind of axle , are you saying that you must be replacing with an axle and model that is identical ... made by company X and not by another company whose internals may be different ?

#10 ·
The cvs that Isuzu used have 6 balls in each end. There are some aftermarket ones that only have 3 or 4 balls. You would have to replace the inner cup to use those which means dropping the whole front axle/diff. There are also a couple different types of 6 ball ones and they may not interchange but I dont know that for certain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.