Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Draining oil - 2000 Rodeo - V6-3.2L

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  JTK 
#1 ·
Nevermind how embarassed I am to be asking this question, but believe it or not, I'm not exactly sure where the oil-pan bolt is to drain my motor oil.

It's been a while since I changed my own oil. Doing one's own repairs was much simpler back in the day. :) (I did do an extensive search of the 'net and of this forum before I posted, but I guess no one's asked a question this dumb before.)

2000 Isuzu Rodeo - V6-3.2L

Underneath the car about where the oil pan would be, I see what appears might be the correct bolt, but it has a tag on the casing which says Toyko Radiator Co. When I tried to loosen the bolt just enough to see if what leaked was motor oil, I couldn't get this 7/8" bolt to budge -- it was on that tightly making me think it may not be the oil pan drain bolt at all.

Is it possible the oil is drained by removing the oil filter? (CAN the oil be successfully drained by removing the oil filter?)

After you stop laughing and pick yourselves up off the floor, let me thank you in advance for your kind assistance.

f

See less See more
#2 ·
You might want to drop the skid plate to help you out. The oil pan is alittle funky looking on the isuzu 3.2/3.5L's. The engine has an aluminum lower skirt or 'lower block' & at the lowest point of the skirt is a small black stamped steel oil pan. It has a large hex head facing towards the driver's side. I think it is 7/8" as you say. Be careful not to drain the trans pan on your 4L30E AT as it has a big hex drain plug facing straight down on the larger of it's two pans. From the front of the truck you will have the engine oil pan, the transmission OD casing pan, then the main trans pan.
G/luck
Joel

#3 ·
JTK said:
You might want to drop the skid plate to help you out.
I probably should have mentioned it in my original post, but I did removed the skid plate.

The oil pan is alittle funky looking on the isuzu 3.2/3.5L's. The engine has an aluminum lower skirt or 'lower block' & at the lowest point of the skirt is a small black stamped steel oil pan. It has a large hex head facing towards the driver's side. I think it is 7/8" as you say. Be careful not to drain the trans pan on your 4L30E AT as it has a big hex drain plug facing straight down on the larger of it's two pans.
Joel
Thanks Joel. You've confirmed my suspicions. The "lower skirt" you describe is exactly where I saw the bolt I mentioned. It looked like the oil pan and I thought it might be, but the "Tokyo Radiator Co" stamp sort of threw me. I just felt safer asking about it first.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

f

#4 ·
frankhad said:
Underneath the car about where the oil pan would be, I see what appears might be the correct bolt, but it has a tag on the casing which says Toyko Radiator Co.
Thats it

#6 ·
I'd like to thank you all for responding. As simple and basic as my question was, I really do appreciate you're taking the time to confirm my suspicions. I once rebuilt the engine in a 1972 Toyota Corolla and decided I'd never get that dirty again. :) Since it's been so long since I've been under the hood, it just seemed better to forego my ego and pride and ask the dumb question.

Thanks again for your help. ALL of you!

f

#7 ·
No sweat at all Frank. You really are better off doing your own oil changes on these trucks. I dunno why, but shops always seem to make a total mess out of it on rodeos. Check your oil level regularly! especially if your 3.2L uses some under your conditions. Oil changes every 3-5K miles are fine on the 1998+ with today's oils. You can go longer with mobil-1, amsoil, etc.. if you wish :shock: .
G/luck
Joel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.