Isuzu SUV Forum banner

2.6L Cylinder Head Bolts Torque Values Question

8K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  shooter 
#1 ·
My book shows on the final head bolt torque, the final value is 65-79 ft. lbs. Seems kind of vague to me. I'm considering using 70-72. Anyone have a suggested, successfully performed torque value? I would probably max it out if not for the aluminum head.

thanks,
shooter

#2 ·
New bolts I would get pretty close to the higher value, but make sure they are going into a clean and rethreaded bosses too. Just run a tap into the holes in the block and make them clean.

I use 90wt gear lube to get an even torque reading. Other things usable are assembly lube, but 90wt is very good.

New or used bolts, make them all the same as the best idea.

Torque wrenches vary from age, make/model and initial quality/price. Use a "clicker" type as they will sound off when you get to the preset value and you don't have to watch a needle point to a vernier and worry about parallax view and inconsistent values.

#3 ·
Thanks Joe. The only large torque wrench I have is a Craftsman clicker type with the numbers displayed through a window near the end of the handle. Seems like a pretty good solid tool though I doubt it would pass professional muster; though I know not why. Got my head back to day and power to my house about an hour ago. Happy camper. :headbang:

#4 ·
shooter that wrench will more than suffice..... you lost power to the house!?!?! u know you HAVE to pay that bill right!?!?!?? it's not like the hospital where they'll keep fixin' ya' even if you don't pay!!!! LoL :lol:

#5 ·
I stupidly stopped paying my bills after the Obama election. I saw so many news stories showing people being interviewed stating their phone bills, utility bills, satellite tv, jewelry, etc would be covered by the government. I thought I would be covered as well. I guess the background check they ran on me showing I worked for a living and took responsibility for my actions nixed that. Damn, why couldn't I have been born a worthless, scum sucking, parasite on society? :lol: Another version might be storms Sunday night/Monday morning wreaked havoc in my area and took my electric away. Even with a full house generator, I whined like a school girl. How pathetic is that? Definitely, a product of this soft society.

#6 ·
Set that thing to 80 ft-lbs and click away man!

#7 ·
X2.

Chase the threads as mentioned and have at it.

I run them all up to 50 or so, then run them on up to the desired torque setting using the proper sequence both times and then re-check them after a couple hundred miles or so.

Works for me anyway.

Jim

#8 ·
I think that's the approach I'll take, though, I'll probably do it in 3 or 4 steps.

thanks,
shooter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.