Engine coolant in spark plug tube.

This forum is for the discussion of general Isuzu related information

Moderator: Staff

Engine coolant in spark plug tube.

Postby Bandit123 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:09 pm

I have a 98 Rodeo. The check engine light came on and when test I got the code for a misfire in cylinder 4. When I removed the coil pack I found that the spark plug tube that the coil pack slides into was about half full of engine coolant. That explaines the misfire, anyone have any idea where the coolant might be coming from?
Bandit123
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Postby bigpoppax2 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:01 am

Check your oil to make sure it doesn't look like a chocolate milkshake. The only way I can see coolant getting into the spark plug hole is if you have a bad head gasket and a bad valve cover gasket.

Usually we are answering why is there oil in my spark plug tube. This is due to the o-ring type gasket that seals between the head and the valve cover. So usually when this gasket goes bad you get oil in your plug hole.

Coolant, I'd do some poking around, check to see if you have oil in your coolant as well.

Joe
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

98 RodeoPort 34" LTB's, Supercharged and some other cool stuff.
bigpoppax2
Forum Admin

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby isuzu95 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:40 am

I'm not familiar with the 3.5 motor, but the 3.2 has all sorts of "plumbing" atop that can leak as times goes on. You might want to consider coolant leaks from up above as well.

The head gasket is beneath the plugs; not sure how that sort of leak would find it's way to a plug well. Leaking valve cover gaskets leak oil; not coolant.
Mike Murrell
'95 Rodeo - 3.2 liter - 2WD - Automatic
isuzu95
Trail Scout

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby bigpoppax2 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:48 am

Well he said he has a 98 rodeo, so he does have the 3.2. I'll lift teh hood on my wifes 98 and look at the hose routing to see what if anything could cause coolant to collect in the #4 plug hole.

Joe
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

98 RodeoPort 34" LTB's, Supercharged and some other cool stuff.
bigpoppax2
Forum Admin

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby isuzu95 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:02 am

Joe:

In the case of the 3.2, the plumbing I'm speaking of is buried beneath the plenum and int. manifold. You'll have a hard time eye-balling any of that without seeing an engine schematic or doing some semi-serious upper motor removal.

A cooling system pressure test "might" help.
Mike Murrell
'95 Rodeo - 3.2 liter - 2WD - Automatic
isuzu95
Trail Scout

Have thanks: 3 times

i had this problem....

Postby shayne » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:31 am

I had this problem (i notice the post is old, don't know why i never found it last time). FYI, this is believed to be a cracked head. I tried all sorts, and in the end a bottle of 'sealant' from BigW fixed the issue. Primarily it was shorting against inside of the tube when it was full of coolant, this problem has now gone but i'm sure the head is still cracked. it comes in a clear bottle, 300ml or so and is a metallic bronze colour - highly recommended (put it in your radiator)
'99 Rodeo 3.2l V6
shayne
Drives on Pavement

Re: i had this problem....

Postby JLEMOND » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:16 pm

shayne wrote:I had this problem (i notice the post is old, don't know why i never found it last time). FYI, this is believed to be a cracked head. I tried all sorts, and in the end a bottle of 'sealant' from BigW fixed the issue. Primarily it was shorting against inside of the tube when it was full of coolant, this problem has now gone but i'm sure the head is still cracked. it comes in a clear bottle, 300ml or so and is a metallic bronze colour - highly recommended (put it in your radiator)
YEP

SHAYNE FOUND HIS PROB, I AM AFRAID YOU HAVE A CRACKED HEAD UNDER THE CAM SHAFT THEY WILL CRACK AND LEAD TO THE PLUG TUBE , NOT REALLY HARD TO SEE ONCE THE CAMS ARE OUT OF THE HEAD , JERRY
JLEMOND
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 113 times

Postby LIVauto » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:58 pm

I'm glad I found this post. I have the same problem right now and I have a 3.5L. I guess I need to find a new cylinder head.
LIVauto
Drives on Gravel

Return to General Isuzu Discussion