Isuzu SUV Forum banner

I need help timing a 1997 3.2 Isuzu rodeo sohc

6K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  boritz 
#1 ·
I was able to view the awesome viedo on timing the dohc 3.2 and believe I could time this engine in my sleep. No such luck with the sohc, no dual cam with marks to line up and I fully understand how to spring the cams to the correct timing marks. I just need to find out how to time the right cam and believe I have timed the left bank because as per the chilton's manual with the timing mark on the crank the engine is at tdc compression stroke of cyl #2. I watched the cam lobes push down the intake marks and then checked to make sure the piston of cyl #2 was at tdc. Does anyone know where to set the right(passenger side) cam to properly time this engine? any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks, Chad :D

#2 ·
Check the SOHC diagram in this thread: http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=16972

If you scroll down you will find some photo's of the SOHC cam pulley static marks.

Most of the thread relates to the DOHC, but timing the SOHC is easier.

Individually set the crank pulley static marks and each cam pulley static mark. You can rotate any of these separately - non-interference motor. Forget about piston or valve positions - just set the marks.

Re-fitting the belt is easier if you remove both the idle pulley and the tensioner pulley.

You can download a 1.9MB SOHC how-to PDF here: http://www.datazap.net/sites/Australia4 ... p_rev2.pdf

HTH :wink:

#3 ·
here lies the problem, when the timing belt was removed, I did not line up the timing marks( big mistake! I am feeling the pain now!!) I have spun the camshafts trying to line up the timing marks and on the right(passenger or odd # cylinders) cam shaft. I need to know what cylinder and what stroke( intake or compression) that I need to set it at. Every time I rotate the crank it springs to the same position( lines up with the pimple on the timing cover) but each time a different cylinder would be on the compression stroke. This is what is so confusing because I can find no literature on how to time a SOHC engine when you have lost timing. The information has to be somewhere because when you replace a head it is not automatically timed correctly. This is how I figured the engine was not an interferance engine because if it were you could not freely turn the camshafts up to 9 times as stated in the instructions for a DOHC engine. If this were a true interference engine you would have to move the pistons out of the way before you could turn the crank. This would be a real pain to try and accomplish without a valve hitting a piston. There is a awesome viedo on timing a DOHC engine when timing hasen't been lost and when the timing has been lost. If you can tellme how to time this engine when timing has been lost all ofmy lifes troubles would be solved! Thanks a bunch, Chad

#4 ·
Chad - I think that you are over-thinking the problem! :lol:

It doesn't matter if you 'lost' the timing.

Forget all about TDC and valve positions.

Unlike the DOHC, the SOHC has a constant and simple 2:1 rotation ratio between the crank and the cams.

You can turn the cams as many times as you like but each time that the static marks line-up the cam-lobes and valves will be in the same position that they were on the last rotation!

Simply line-up the static marks - fit the belt and line-up it's marks with the static marks and all will be well. :D

#6 ·
You are so right! I was overthinking the problem. After watching the viedo on th dohc engine the gear ratio of the cams confused me. I also talked to the local dealer and figured out that I was overthinking the problem. 1 turn of the cam equals 1 complete firing order of that side of the engine. Also, I didn't understand why you would have to turn the camshaft up to 9 times to get the timing marks to line up. I understand the cam springs foreward and then only lines up to the timing mark on the cover, but I didn't understand the 9 times. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out! When I get it back together and it runs perfect I will post the results, Thanks Chad

#8 ·
:D :D :D :D Well I have never heard an isuzu start so fast and run so well after it is timed properly! Another Roedo back on the road. I did struggle a bit though, not with the timing but the valve cover gaskets were leaking like a siv! These are the hardest valve cover gaskets I have ever put on in my life! It is sooooo tight on the drivers side and it was dark when I finished. Started it up and was purring like a kitten and then all of the sudden a massive oil leak! The valve cover gasket had skweaked out from under the cover and boy was it leaking! O.K so start all over on this side. But in the end I won and no more leaks :D :D :D Thanks for the help!! These SOHC engines are really easy to time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.