Rear of Intake Manifold (vacuum actuator?)

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

Rear of Intake Manifold (vacuum actuator?)

Postby cheedawg130 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:42 pm

Hi, I've been reading information on this forum for the past couple of months and it has helped me with many different things on my 98 amigo. It has the v6 dohc engine. My current issue is the black circle thing on the back of the intake (it controls the shutters on the inside of the upper intake). I wasn't paying attention when I took the line off of it and I was wondering where does it hook up to? I'm thinking that it hooks up to the lower intake manifold but I just want to be sure. Also if anyone could post a picture of the v6 with all the wires, fuel injectors, and vacuum lines hooked up so I have a frame of reference that would be greatly appreciated.
cheedawg130
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: Rear of Intake Manifold (vacuum actuator?)

Postby Buster28 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:14 am

The intake manifold uses dual length intake runners. The round "widget" on the back of the manifold is a vacuum motor that operates the linkage that operates the induction valves inside the manifold. The vacuum motor is controlled by the Variable Intake Manifold (VIM) solenoid. The VIM solenoid has +12 VDC supplied to one side of the coil, the ECM grounds the other side of the coil to energize the solenoid (ON). When the engine RPM is less than 3600 , the VIM solenoid is “ON” and when the engine RPM is more than 3600, the VIM solenoid is “”OFF”. The induction control valves are closed when the VIM solenoid is “ON”, and opened at the VIM solenoid is “OFF”. The hose from the vacuum motor is attached to the VIM solenoid as shown in the attached image.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
02 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6 76K miles
01 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6 48K miles

For this post the author Buster28 was thanked by:
cheedawg130
Buster28
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 390 times

Postby cheedawg130 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:46 am

Cool, thanks a lot. One last question. There is a port for a tube on the back of the lower intake manifold, where does that attach to?
cheedawg130
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Buster28 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:01 pm

That is probably for the Fuel Pressure Regulator.
02 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6 76K miles
01 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6 48K miles
Buster28
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 390 times

Return to Drivetrain Problems