Flex test with the fourlink!!!

Discuss anything related to drivetrain mods here (Engine &Transmission Swaps, lift, gearing, exhaust, etc)

Moderator: Staff

Flex test with the fourlink!!!

Postby bradzuzu » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:47 pm

91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 363 times

Sponsor

Re: Flex test with the fourlink!!!

Postby bradzuzu » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:54 pm

That's the best I can do till I'm wheelin lol!!
It's hard to show the suspension in the pic's. When I had the front up the right rear was maxed.
When I backed up on the block it was fairly even.

My build up page
Four link pics

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby -88- » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:03 pm

F-ing bada**....no homo, but I love you.....Got a shot with one of the tires off? One that shows the whole stretch of your links, trying to suss out the top bars....You just use regular bushings? Not hiems or super pivot?
Ada-99 Trooper;3.5 TOD, Luxury, 2inch crank front,+2in calmini springs&spacers rear, 265/70/r17's (axioms)-Wife's whip
Tin Cup-90 Amigo; 2.6 4x4, 5spd, ala mexican special for the time being
Dr.Molly- 94 Amigo; 2.6 2wd, 5spd, 5% smaller goodyear wranglers on 15in snowflakes, predominantly stock, cruiser (& staying minimally modded)
José Rosé-92 Pu't Spacecab; 2.6 2wd, auto, future 16inch steelies, old skool street rubber,
Frank-95 Pu't Reg. Cab; 2.3 2wd, 5spd, T-bar crank and cheap shackle lift... Mild down a bit & sold, but still near & dear.
My garage- viewtopic.php?f=15&t=76464#p674958
-88-
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 103 times

Postby stomis » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:04 pm

Can I ask why you're running a 4 link with a panhard? I mean I know theres not enough room to triangulate a 4 link so why not run a 3link plus panhard?
1986 Olds 442 - For sale

1994 Isuzu trooper - 3.2L, 5 spd, preparing to build
stomis
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby bradzuzu » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:10 pm

I used all rear pieces only thing was I lentghened the bottom arms. I went four link because I think the more connections the better and stronger. The right upper is welded tontje cast iron. But I wanted to keep it low stock looking and the pan/ starter and Exaust would have been in the way. If you look (might not see because of pic cropping) the right upper link conectipm just fits between the engine and frame and engine motor mount assembly. When I built my buggy I used ford after market upper shakle bushings. One the off road stuff is spendy it wears out and squeaks, and it's spendy. The bushings where easy to come by and I get two for $25 bucks. Did need alot but still way cheaper. So same idea here the stock bushing are big/flexible , hopefully easy to
Find later lol, but have how ever many (100,000) miles on them and still good. I thought why not!!
Even though the upper link arms are triangulated the bushings are parallel so I had to have the track arm.

I will take what ever pics you guys want/need just let me know. The ride to me is just as good as stock after those pics I went through some nasty pot holes and just smiled.

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby bradzuzu » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:20 pm

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby bradzuzu » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:23 pm

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby stomis » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:00 pm

bradzuzu wrote:I went four link because I think the more connections the better and stronger.

Eh not really. Its more what you build your links out of and how your brackets are mounted.

The design of a 4 link triangulated w/o a panhard bar is that all 4 links move in the same arc and the triangulated links center the axle. When you add a panhard bar to this you eliminate the need for the second upper control arm. Truthfully if you removed the upper on top of the pumpkin youd pick up a huge amount of flex by reducing bind.

And despite the links being somewhat triangulated as you said the bushings are no mounted on that angle and theres not enough triangulation to remove the panhard as it is.
1986 Olds 442 - For sale

1994 Isuzu trooper - 3.2L, 5 spd, preparing to build
stomis
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby bradzuzu » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:33 pm

I know, it's what I had and for what it is it's not to shabby. I triangulated my buggy in the rear with out a track arm. No twisting binding or fatigue. The front still needed a track arm and being as thus at high speeds I like the comfort thought of it helping to keep me stable. So that being said if I was to have done a three link my amigo it would have to be sitting much higher. And the rear on those is kinda hosed
There's a crossmember up above the upper link arms limiting and then the dumb gas tank going down. I'm sure you know... Could extend the upper towers a couple inches for starters.

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby Cronk » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:24 pm

Looks good man! I know mine would be hanging a front tire in that picture with the IFS. I wannna wheel with you if I'm ever back out west. Hell, if I have the money, I want you to build me a SAS like that!
Cronk
Subscriber

Have thanks: 89 times

Postby superswire » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:29 pm

wow, to hell with ifs that thing can TWIST !! Well done !!!
1999 vx, magnaflow, k&n drop-in, ome coils, 2" diff drop, rancho 9x, Darlington bump stop extensions, tones hidden hitch, reese basket on facory Yakima bars, mb razors w/ 33x12.50 Hercules M/T. (Currently undergoing a heart transplant because she seized up on me)

1999 rodeo ls, mua5, Moog cc784, Reese basket, 31x10.50 and some stickers !

Past zu's: '92 migo, '95 troop, '93 rodeo, '97 passport.
superswire
Trail Master

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby bradzuzu » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:15 pm

Thank you very much guys I'd love to help people build there own set ups. the biggest expense was the axle rebuild itself. I van get them for a couple hundred bucks which isn't bad.

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby bradzuzu » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:48 pm

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i46 ... 5ae458.jpg
This is the best way for you guys to see how tight it is when stuffed. Without having a cropped down pic.
It was really helpful to build it bare frame. Just trying to make sure there wouldn't be any interference.
The frame horns where my guide for the most part.

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby superswire » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:11 am

bradzuzu wrote:http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i469/bradblake/9f5ae458.jpg
This is the best way for you guys to see how tight it is when stuffed. Without having a cropped down pic.
It was really helpful to build it bare frame. Just trying to make sure there wouldn't be any interference.
The frame horns where my guide for the most part.

looks like you have at least an inch or two in there, thats PLENTY :D

also i'm not sure what post it was on, but you were saying how you whack your bumpstops on moguls on your buggy i think, have you ever tried hydraulic bumpstops ? i bet they work sick, i've only seen them on race machines, mostly formula offroad and baja trucks, but ofr the kind of driving you seem like you like to d in your buggy, they gotta be cooler than a chunk of rubber and swayaway has zillions in stock...
1999 vx, magnaflow, k&n drop-in, ome coils, 2" diff drop, rancho 9x, Darlington bump stop extensions, tones hidden hitch, reese basket on facory Yakima bars, mb razors w/ 33x12.50 Hercules M/T. (Currently undergoing a heart transplant because she seized up on me)

1999 rodeo ls, mua5, Moog cc784, Reese basket, 31x10.50 and some stickers !

Past zu's: '92 migo, '95 troop, '93 rodeo, '97 passport.
superswire
Trail Master

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby bradzuzu » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:02 am

Ya it's tight but I figured it all in with the bump stops. On a super hard hit like getting air it might compress the bump stops but I think I gave it plenty of compression. As far as my buggy goes the stiffer springs made it sit higher thus on high speed running it has more up travel for rough teran. And having all five passengers in it , works out really good. It's a bit stiff with just me in it. I got jolted last time down hitting the moguls at the bottom of a sand hill.

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby bradzuzu » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:09 pm

This is at ride height. The upper link arms are sitting up hill/ not parallel with the lower arms.
Lack of room and an added bonus of this setup rotates the pinion up on full droop or down travel, this helps out the driveline angle and gives it more usable flexibility without binding. :)

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby bradzuzu » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:23 pm

The first pic is at ride height showing the steering a bit.
The shock is completely extended and I disconnected the sway bar link on that side (max travel) these are stock length shocks for the rear. You hopefully can see all the reused parts the upper shock mount was cut off and placed behind the coil tower tight but great spot for it. As of now the drive line does bind on the bolt heads at the yoke at full droop I just have to do a little bit of clearencing on the drive shaft is all before it beats up the heads of the bolts. The drive line is Toyota rear constant velocity joint with an isuzu slip welded onto it.

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby -88- » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:36 pm

bradzuzu wrote:
This is at ride height. The upper link arms are sitting up hill/ not parallel with the lower arms.
Lack of room and an added bonus of this setup rotates the pinion up on full droop or down travel, this helps out the driveline angle and gives it more usable flexibility without binding. :)

Yeah that was exactly what I was trying to sort out....I knew the one over the pumpkin had to be uphill...IDK how I feel about the up hill running, then again it's out of the norm so there's gonna be that uneasy feeling. If it was a trail only rig I def see the bonus on drive-ling angle on drop offs...being a mix tho I'ma keep an eye on your highway success.
Ada-99 Trooper;3.5 TOD, Luxury, 2inch crank front,+2in calmini springs&spacers rear, 265/70/r17's (axioms)-Wife's whip
Tin Cup-90 Amigo; 2.6 4x4, 5spd, ala mexican special for the time being
Dr.Molly- 94 Amigo; 2.6 2wd, 5spd, 5% smaller goodyear wranglers on 15in snowflakes, predominantly stock, cruiser (& staying minimally modded)
José Rosé-92 Pu't Spacecab; 2.6 2wd, auto, future 16inch steelies, old skool street rubber,
Frank-95 Pu't Reg. Cab; 2.3 2wd, 5spd, T-bar crank and cheap shackle lift... Mild down a bit & sold, but still near & dear.
My garage- viewtopic.php?f=15&t=76464#p674958
-88-
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 103 times

Postby bradzuzu » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:10 am

Both upper links run the same way. I can cruse at 90 and it handles Like a stock rig. I've probly put almost ten thousand miles on it already freeway driving. Driving 50 miles a day Ive givin it a good work out. The big huge speed bumps I can hit them at 40 or 50 mph and it glides over them. I do wish that I would have rotated the axles a bit because of the pinion angle I had to pop the welds on the lower arms and grow them about a 1/4 in to dial in the camber. That in turn gave me a little worse of a driveline angle. Live and learn !!!

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby foytiX » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:10 am

,and this is why I have two gen II's for parts. One day I will do this :lol:
'90 trooper 2.6 MUA 3" BL 33's, 5.38 gears, 12 bolt locker, and more http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=499
'94 Trooper MUA "theBeater"....http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=67019
'94 trooper ls.....parts and engine donor
'95 trooper limited.....1" hockey puck lift http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=66472
'98 trooper.........parts and trans donor
foytiX
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 86 times

Postby bradzuzu » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:14 pm

It was cheap !! :) little bit of trial and error , but it's been durable..

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby jeffmyers » Wed May 06, 2015 11:30 pm

Impressive !

I see your headlights are partly blacked out. Did you take them apart to do that?
jeffmyers
Super Trooper

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby bradzuzu » Thu May 07, 2015 3:45 pm

Thank you !!

The headlights are factory 2000 ones I didn't do any modafication to them , the grill however is a 99 and I had to reshape it to fit the lights ...

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby Fox » Tue May 12, 2015 12:16 pm

Love that bumper... You made?
Fox: the official Non-Forum Troll
Have a question? Things I have first hand experience in.

'91 Amigo : fresh 2.6L 4ze1 . Hybrid rhb5 Turbo . Delta 260 camshaft . 59.5" Wide Track & Big brake front suspension . BJ flip&space . Lokka's front/rear . 31" BFG M/T Km2

I machine parts. BJ spacers, EGR plates, Alignment shims, etc.
Fox
Super Trooper

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby bradzuzu » Tue May 12, 2015 10:45 pm

Yeah I made it way back when I put this thing together , it's taken some good abuse ..

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Next

Return to Drivetrain Mods