Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Lokka Group Buy

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Sh_YVR 
#1 ·
Anybody interested? 10% off for 10 orders and 20% off if we get 20 orders. Thanks!!!

#3 ·
Many people have these in their trucks. Id be in if I didn't already have one.

These are auto lockers so no external input is needed to "switch them on" They are fully mechanical. A lot of people do not like them in the front due to steering effort required. Good luck with your group buy.

Id recommend them if you take you truck far off the beaten path.

Eric

#4 ·
Unlike an electronic or air locker, a lunchbox locker is always on. It is "powered" by the driveshaft. Basically, the way it works is that the slower wheel spins with the driveshaft (at whatever gearing the dif has), while the faster wheel can ratchet faster than the driveshaft. When installed in the front, this will result in a tendency for the truck to want to go straight and understeer (wider turns) because the inside wheel gets the power as compared to an open dif where the outside wheel gets the power and the inside wheel can practically remain stationary.

I have a lunchbox locker (an Aussie) in the front of my Amigo. I love it because with the truck in 2wd (the front drive shaft not powered) and the front hubs unlocked there is no impact on driving (unlike with a rear locker which is always on and can grab at inappropriate times). When I get off-road, I lock in the front hubs and put the truck in low range. Then I shift out of 4wd (the Amigo has SOTF) and I have 2L, which is great for most easy trails like forest roads. When I get to an obstacle, I hit the 4wd button, which not only engages 4wd but also the front locker. For me this setup works as a poor man's airlocker. You can do the same thing even if your truck doesn't have SOTF, but you have to get out of the truck to lock the hubs to engage 4wd and the front locker and to unlock the hubs to disengage 4wd and the front locker. Of course, you can just leave the front hubs engaged if you don't mind constantly dealing with the understeer.

#6 ·
Hack - That is exactly how I would want to use them! I spend most of my offroad time in the sand and on dirt roads. Occasionally, an obstacle gets in the way!!!

RickP - I believe they would ship them separately. The cost they advertise online includes shipping.

#10 ·
The front can take several hours, because you have to remove the entire front axle. The rear is an hour or so because it's just a d44.

#11 ·
egagnon086 said:
The front can take several hours, because you have to remove the entire front axle.
If you decide to install a front locker, be sure to inspect your front end parts. Since you have everything apart, it is a good time to replace worn parts like shocks, ball joints, tie rod ends, cv axle boots and brake pads.

#12 ·
Sh_YVR said:
those look cool - anyone have any thoughts on replacing the FRONT differential with this? would it still work right with no power ?
:D I installed front and rear lokka lockers in my 95 pickup.The steering issue is not to bad.

#13 ·
If it was in the rear - this would solve/reduce 'fishtailing' wouldn't it? If going UPHILL in slippery conditions - or ice patches... something that happens on mountain passes when condition degrade.. or accelerating uphill.... anyone have experience with this? (in RWD only , going uphill on snow/rain where otherwise 1 wheel would start spinning... while driving more than 25 or 40mph

#14 ·
Sh_YVR said:
If it was in the rear - this would solve/reduce 'fishtailing' wouldn't it? If going UPHILL in slippery conditions - or ice patches... something that happens on mountain passes when condition degrade.. or accelerating uphill.... anyone have experience with this? (in RWD only , going uphill on snow/rain where otherwise 1 wheel would start spinning... while driving more than 25 or 40mph
It would likely make it worse, since instead of one side spinning, it will be both. Not to mention accelerating through turns, the locker may kick in whenever it feels like it. I personally wouldn't run an auto locker in the rear of a rig that sees a lot of icy/slippery condition road driving.

#15 ·
Sh_YVR said:
One wheel will no longer start to spin, both wheels will turn at the speed of the wheel with the most traction. Once both wheels lose traction both will spin at the same speed. It's very similar to driving a quality LSD rear. You must adjust your driving habits to the locker's behavior, if you're willing to put up with that behavior then there's no reason you can't use a locker under any road conditions.

#16 ·
The only thing I would add is that if you have snow every year I would not suggest an auto locker front or rear. AWD with all diffs open (including the center) is the best. Or 4WD with the center locked but selectable on the fly is good as well. It allows for forward movement but keeps enough tires planted where you don't start drifting to the low side of the road where the curb or ditch is.

If I lock the front and rear any descent amount of throttle input will have me headed for the side of the road. If I just lock the back I can fishtail for days. Its fun when no one is around but sucks when you just need to get to work.

#17 ·
well geoff since you are in BC .. on the Coquihalla... with my LSD right now if you accelerate too much and its slushy or wet/cold, the back may break 'free' .. 1 wheel spins.... so I was trying to figure out if this makes it better or worse in that circumstance... (tho I think Tires also play a role) .... i had no choice but to go into 4wd mode. but.. as soon as its more than 40mph.. doesnt seem like a good idea.. BTW that highway truly is a 'highway from hell' .. recently bumped it to 75mph with long grades..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.