HELP!!! BJ flip/ BJ spacer?? 92 rodeo

Discuss anything related to drivetrain mods here (Engine &Transmission Swaps, lift, gearing, exhaust, etc)

Moderator: Staff

HELP!!! BJ flip/ BJ spacer?? 92 rodeo

Postby eduu_PR » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:04 pm

FIRST POST! :wink:

I have been doing allot of reading on torsion bar lift but still need some more details plz.

I understand that fliping the BJ and adding a spacer is only needed when lifted to acheive alignment and keeping up and down travel centered on the upper arm. I have been looking online but all i find is a 1/4" spacer for my rodeo, witch seems like nothing compared to 1"-1.5" spacers found for other type of veicles like Toyotas for example. ANY SPECIFIC REASON? other than alignment issues?? because i could just have a buddy of mine with a 3d printer make me some 1/2",3/4" or 1" spacers instead. :idea:

I know i cant go further than 3" torsion lift on stock parts, but i want to try to keep my upper arm travel as centered as posible after lift. witch i figured would be the other reason to Bj flip and space. RIGHT??

please correct if anything i wrote is incorrect. :mrgreen:

should i just get the 1/4" spacers or have some built bigger??
anyone know how thick the built in spacer on the calmini top arm is on the 3" lift kit???

im riding on 31" Cooper Discoverer with a 1" wheel spacer and hate when she rubs :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eduu_PR
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: HELP!!! BJ flip/ BJ spacer?? 92 rodeo

Postby DSUZU » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:48 pm

Reality: 31s were a factory option - with stock suspension adjustment. The BJ spacer isn't all that necessary with 31s. For best CV life with a lift, you need to do the front diff drop (do a search on it). You'll need modified brackets (believe someone here offers them). Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060

The American dream is getting farther and farther away from the American.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

For this post the author DSUZU was thanked by:
eduu_PR
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 606 times

Postby geoffinbc » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:17 pm

On our trucks the spacers are simply to correct UCA angle and make alignment possible. They are not needed on a mild lift. Larger spacers would introduce alignment issues in the oposite direction.

Toyota trucks had the torsion bar on the UCA so a spacer here would actually provide lift.
1990 Trooper, 3.2L (3.1L .040 over) Pushrod V6, 5 speed manual. 33X10.50X15 BFG M/T KM2's. 3" OME Lift. Cowl Induction Intake. ARB Lockers front and rear. HD Tierods.
Off the road for an overhaul right now.

Big Bore Intake Kits & Greasable Shackles Here

For this post the author geoffinbc was thanked by:
eduu_PR
geoffinbc
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 321 times

Postby eduu_PR » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:17 am

geoffinbc wrote:On our trucks the spacers are simply to correct UCA angle and make alignment possible. They are not needed on a mild lift. Larger spacers would introduce alignment issues in the oposite direction.

Toyota trucks had the torsion bar on the UCA so a spacer here would actually provide lift.

makes sense, thnks!
eduu_PR
Drives on Pavement

Postby eduu_PR » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:19 am

DSUZU wrote:Reality: 31s were a factory option - with stock suspension adjustment. The BJ spacer isn't all that necessary with 31s. For best CV life with a lift, you need to do the front diff drop (do a search on it). You'll need modified brackets (believe someone here offers them). Dennis

inhad previewsly cranked up like 1" for the new shoes bit need a bit more space when weeling, when slightly turned to the right my passnger tire will rub . thats why im going a bit taller

ok so, crank T bar, lower front Diff, then if allignment isnt posible flip upper BJ.
Thats the order i should go with? right?
eduu_PR
Drives on Pavement

Postby geoffinbc » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:26 am

If your going to have a total of roughly 2" then go ahead and do the flip but no spacer.
1990 Trooper, 3.2L (3.1L .040 over) Pushrod V6, 5 speed manual. 33X10.50X15 BFG M/T KM2's. 3" OME Lift. Cowl Induction Intake. ARB Lockers front and rear. HD Tierods.
Off the road for an overhaul right now.

Big Bore Intake Kits & Greasable Shackles Here
geoffinbc
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 321 times

Postby DSUZU » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:43 am

geoffinbc wrote:If your going to have a total of roughly 2" then go ahead and do the flip but no spacer.

Agreed. Plenty of write up on doing this. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060

The American dream is getting farther and farther away from the American.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

For this post the author DSUZU was thanked by:
eduu_PR
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 606 times

Postby eduu_PR » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:39 pm

flip done (no spacer)

will post pics of final product soon

THANKS GUYS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eduu_PR
Drives on Pavement

Postby eduu_PR » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:46 pm

back side
eduu_PR
Drives on Pavement

Postby eduu_PR » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:52 pm

done! will go to allignment tomorow morning

image.jpg
eduu_PR
Drives on Pavement

Postby eduu_PR » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:55 pm

front side!!

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!

image.jpg
eduu_PR
Drives on Pavement

Return to Drivetrain Mods