Isuzu SUV Forum banner

285's and rims?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  LT1coupe 
#1 ·
I just ordered a set of Mastercraft Courser AT's 285/75R16's for my newly acquired Trooper and was wondering how big of a deal is it to go to 16x8 rims from the stock 16x7's?
It's not a daily driver, it's a weekend toy but will see hwy miles getting to and from trails.

1995 Trooper with stock alloys.

#2 ·
8" rims should be fine for that tire. I would be more interested in the offset/backspacing of the new rims.

#3 ·
Thanks, what I was trying to ask is how important is it that I BUY wider rims than the stock 16x7's" ?

From information I gathered on this sight, I have the Moog springs ordered for the rear & plan to raise the front a bit with a ball joint flip and use shorter down stops. I have Aisin manual hubs coming & will likely do a diff drop as well.

#4 ·
A 285 is pretty extreme for a 7" rim. It's going to depend on the structure of the tire. You might have to run lower pressures to get even tread wear, and it's possible (not likely) the bead won't set correctly or the tire could blow the bead seal in extreme cornering or offroad situations. Some of the big chains might not mount them just due to liability policy.

The biggest thing you might notice is road sway - might feel 'floaty' due to the flexing of the sidewalls.

#5 ·
Should be fine aside from treadwear at high psi, and/or road manners at lower psi. I've run 12.50's + on 8" wide wheels for years and years with no major issues. They hold onto the bead at lower psi offroad on a narrower wheel. But if perfect treadwear is you main concern, it would be better to run them on an 8" wheel. You may get other benefits out of the wider wheel as well - increased track width, less rubbing on frame or other components (or more - be sure to do your homework ;) ), aesthetic improvement, or a tougher wheel overall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.