Isuzu SUV Forum banner

imamonstertruck ~ 89 RS Trooper "Buster"

16K views 47 replies 19 participants last post by  imamonstertruck 
#1 ·
As some of you may know, Carol and I have been on the hunt for an 89 RS for a few years and regardless of how much effort invested, it never panned out. Not long ago there was a listing... http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=24474&start=1575... in the Hot Deals "CL" section. The dialog continues onto the next page.

I seem to have a knack for flying out west and driving these troopers home.

I had contacted the seller who acquired the truck from an old woman who wanted something a bit easier to get in and out of. The seller mentioned that someone (sammyafrikan) put a deposit on it and also another guy next in line. I told Carol and she said if it works out then it works out.

That evening after posting in the hot deals thread sammyafrikan messaged me and offered to "stand in" for me. It worked out. :D Thank you Jay :D . In return, I gave him the snowflakes.

A few photos before the purchase...

cont...

See less See more
#2 ·
My brother Elliot flew out with me to Portland..

Jay (sammyafrikan) picked us up from the airport and took to his place where the RS was stashed. I drooled over his 91 trooper for a bit, very nice troop :notworthy: . I purchased the tires he had on his 91 and he mounted them for me to 4 steelies he had and the better original tire as the spare on a spare wheel he had.

And we were off...

The RS needed a battery and a few bulbs so we went to AutoZone for those and I contacted Brad (Bradzuzu) as he offered to meet us. We met Brad and followed him back to his shop where we were to inspect the RS. Elliot snapped a photo of the Amazing Amigo...

We conversed as we glanced the truck over and decided to run to get supplies. We picked up oil, filter, belts, Dot3 fluid, power steering fluid and vac line. Timing belt was good. Power steering leaked pretty bad and clutch slave did too. Coolant and lines good. Trans/Tcase levels good as well as the diff oil. We popped off the hubs and repacked the wheel bearings for good measure...

Buttoned her up and set out for the river to catch some scenery...

Elliot is silly

After getting run off due to closing time, we set out to find lodging and stuck a bit of luck and found a spot half a block from the DMV. The tags expired in 2013 and I needed to purchase a "travel permit" or Temp tag from the DMV. After checking we hit up a neat burger joint. Ate and drank our fill, exchanged stories and had a blast. Brad is a super super guy and I am finally glad to meet him. Said our goodbyes and hit the sack.

Up at 8am and hit the DMV by 9. 9:15 we were off :shock: (The KY DMV is the worst, and I expected it) nope. In and out $30 lighter and legal. :D

Elliot had never been to Portland and he loved the trek up the Columbia River. In my opinion, one of the most beautiful drives on a stretch of hwy.

A shot of the hills behind us...

cont....

#3 ·
There is a huge tree farm called Green Wood Tree Farms in Oregon. On my travels for work, we stopped here and got a few photos of the Bulleit Woody (teardrop trailer bar) in these woods. Here is a shot with Elliot...

We had sopped in La Grande Oregon for fuel and food. We began to take notice that the 2.6 was consuming a bit of oil and was fortunate we bought extra as it was expensive at the station. We found a cool little mexican joint and had a delicious meal and a brew or two :wink: in eye shot of the RS...

Back on the road and with Elliot at the helm, I got some shut eye. He woke me up when he realized the gas station we pulled into looked closed...

Deja Vu. This exact scenario took place last fall when touring with the Bulleit Woody. At this very location in Wyoming. I was asleep and the other guy driving stopped and freaked as we were 3 miles to empty and the diesel was not available for the truck we were driving. We drove 11, horrid miles on "0 miles to empty" before hitting the next station.

Needless to say, I was nervous however the fuel light had not come on yet in the RS. We were fine.

I took over after that stop and got us to Nebraska...

Nebraska sunrise...

Elliot got us into Missouri...

Back on the wheel and found some wings...

My father had called about the time I took that photo in Nebraska of the sun rising. He knew we were on our way home and was checking in on us and also knew we were going to be passing through St. Louis. He was resetting a store in Jacksonville Missouri which was close enough for me to justify meeting up with pop. So I called him as we were running through Kansas City and made arrangements to meet at his hotel room, have pizza and some beers. Glad we did it.

Here is a shot of the sun setting behind us as we pull in to his hotel...

cont...

#4 ·
The next morning we woke up, hit the free breakfast and head to Louisville.

After 6 hours we got back in town, dropped Elliot home, gave the RS a bath and pulled into the drive. As I got to the front door, Carol ran past me and hugged the little RS :roll: :lol:

I said, "what about me?" and she just threw her arms up and said that it was "so cute".

Glad she likes it :D the dogs love it too, especially the sliding back windows...

She calls it "Trooper Patrol"... :roll:

All in all, it is a solid truck. Very minor rust, 250K miles on the ticker and runs strong. I have underestimated these little 4 cylinder engines. :oops:

I have decided to pull the 2.6 from the RS I am parting and rebuild it with the help of J5. Fix the minor stuff. So more to come.

Cheers
-Ian :blackeye:

#6 ·
Congrats, I'll be on board for this one.

#7 ·
Hey, that's a nice RS. Congratulation for that RS. And a good story too :D

#8 ·
Looks like a fun trip, congrats on the RS!

I love having an RS, it looks great and is pretty fun to drive with the 5-speed. Pieces of mine are literally falling apart, yet it's still a solid driver. I just wish mine was as in good condition as your new ride... enjoy it! :D

#11 ·
Thanks everybody. :D

tbecktold said:
I'm pretty sure I saw this RS when you were in La Grande! Looked like a sweet little rig! And what a great road trip!
Why didn't you yell at me :p

Next week, I am going to pull it in the shop and clean some things up. Carol is in Tampa all week, which means I can focus and get some stuff accomplished on her lil trooper and the house. Plus, work load this week is low.

I am trying to talk her into removing the mud flaps and flares. I just don't like the idea allowing the opportunity for moisture to sit in places. Also, any tips to keeping the window tracks clean and rust free?

cheers

#13 ·
New rig adventures are awesome, glad it worked out well for ya!

#17 ·
Congratulations!!!

I've now seen more RS's on here than ever! We all should get together and have a Trooper RS group meeting!

It would be cool!!

Love your truck!!!!!

Arch

#19 ·
I just noticed your RS has Fender Flares!!! Dude........you truly have the holy grail!!

Arch

#21 ·
super-RS-trooper said:
Ive been really wanting to know how you ended up getting it before me. I must have been the next guy in line! :( Any way Im glad to see you have it rather than someone else.
I am not sure really. Everything moved so quick and it just worked out in my favor. Carol is so happy with it and I do not have to hear about her wanting one anymore. :D

She named the little guy "Buster" and he is in good hands.

sammyafrikan said:
Just finally checkin' in to see if you actually made it back home. Glad it worked out for you, and hope you have fun fixin' it up. Thanks again for the snowflakes!
Of course, thank you for everything and making it happen. Good to meet you.

archmckinnon said:
Congratulations!!!

I've now seen more RS's on here than ever! We all should get together and have a Trooper RS group meeting!

It would be cool!!

Love your truck!!!!!

Arch
Thank you.

Yes, that would be a fun meet up for sure.

IsuzuGeek said:
Man, that thing looks really, really clean!!! Congrats!

Bart
Thank you Bart.

I have been working/living on the road since I returned home with "Buster" but as soon as I get time, I will be "doing some changes" with "Buster".

cheers

#22 ·
Been a while since I have posted here and although nothing much has changed, "Buster" has been running pretty good. Occasionally there will be a surge in idle. The power steering has given up the ghost, I swear it is leaking more fluid than I put in :| Good thing I have the donor RS and a rebuild kit. A new coolant leak has sprung as well.

So... now he is in my shop getting some tlc...

"Buster" the RS is getting a face lift, bumper/bullbar from donor RS and maybe a set of round eyes from an 86 I pulled last summer. The dinged bumper is pulled and straightening up the bent valance and fender. I am also deleting the fender flares, mud flaps and possibly exterior trim. Carol is not sure if she wants removed but I am concerned with the salt seasons, deteriorates lurking. Pulling the trim from the donor RS left holes in the body. I told her I would reinstall anything she wanted back on.

As for know, I have a few weeks before I head west and I'll be on the road until November so now is the time to get some work done before winter.

cheers

#24 ·
It gives you the Goosebumps thinking about it!! Can't wait to see your work!

Arch

#25 ·
I swear it is leaking more fluid than I put in :|

Good to see you back on Buster. Power steering fluid will leak where nothing else will. I put a new pressure line on mine and it leaked. I had to torque the fitting to the point I thought it would either break the wrench, the fitting, or my arm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.