imamonstertruck ~ 89 RS Trooper "Buster"

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

imamonstertruck ~ 89 RS Trooper "Buster"

Postby imamonstertruck » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:03 pm

As some of you may know, Carol and I have been on the hunt for an 89 RS for a few years and regardless of how much effort invested, it never panned out. Not long ago there was a listing... http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=24474&start=1575... in the Hot Deals "CL" section. The dialog continues onto the next page.

I seem to have a knack for flying out west and driving these troopers home.

I had contacted the seller who acquired the truck from an old woman who wanted something a bit easier to get in and out of. The seller mentioned that someone (sammyafrikan) put a deposit on it and also another guy next in line. I told Carol and she said if it works out then it works out.

That evening after posting in the hot deals thread sammyafrikan messaged me and offered to "stand in" for me. It worked out. :D Thank you Jay :D . In return, I gave him the snowflakes.

A few photos before the purchase...

cont...
Last edited by imamonstertruck on Wed May 13, 2015 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
-91 Trooper, 3.4 V6, 5speed, 4.77 gears, 3:1 Revo T-Case Gears, HD tie rods, 3" body lift, 2" suspension lift, 1.5" diff drop, 33x10.5x15 BFG A/T,
Round Eye Swap (JDM marker lamps).

1989 Trooper RS http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=81642&p=722882#p722882

Previous Troopers and Build Thread->http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=63260

1988 ISUZU TROOPER WORKSHOP MANUAL

"There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. One is called yesterday and the other is called tomorrow, so today is the right day to love, believe, do and mostly live."~ Dalai Lama

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.”Dr.Suess

Aaronmcvay84 wrote:I think with isuzus there is a more mature crowd that realizes the value of their hard work. They keep things.
imamonstertruck
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 164 times

Sponsor

Re: imamonstertruck ~ 89 RS Trooper

Postby imamonstertruck » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:03 pm

My brother Elliot flew out with me to Portland..

Jay (sammyafrikan) picked us up from the airport and took to his place where the RS was stashed. I drooled over his 91 trooper for a bit, very nice troop :notworthy: . I purchased the tires he had on his 91 and he mounted them for me to 4 steelies he had and the better original tire as the spare on a spare wheel he had.

And we were off...

The RS needed a battery and a few bulbs so we went to AutoZone for those and I contacted Brad (Bradzuzu) as he offered to meet us. We met Brad and followed him back to his shop where we were to inspect the RS. Elliot snapped a photo of the Amazing Amigo...

We conversed as we glanced the truck over and decided to run to get supplies. We picked up oil, filter, belts, Dot3 fluid, power steering fluid and vac line. Timing belt was good. Power steering leaked pretty bad and clutch slave did too. Coolant and lines good. Trans/Tcase levels good as well as the diff oil. We popped off the hubs and repacked the wheel bearings for good measure...

Buttoned her up and set out for the river to catch some scenery...
Elliot is silly

After getting run off due to closing time, we set out to find lodging and stuck a bit of luck and found a spot half a block from the DMV. The tags expired in 2013 and I needed to purchase a "travel permit" or Temp tag from the DMV. After checking we hit up a neat burger joint. Ate and drank our fill, exchanged stories and had a blast. Brad is a super super guy and I am finally glad to meet him. Said our goodbyes and hit the sack.

Up at 8am and hit the DMV by 9. 9:15 we were off :shock: (The KY DMV is the worst, and I expected it) nope. In and out $30 lighter and legal. :D

Elliot had never been to Portland and he loved the trek up the Columbia River. In my opinion, one of the most beautiful drives on a stretch of hwy.

A shot of the hills behind us...

cont....
-91 Trooper, 3.4 V6, 5speed, 4.77 gears, 3:1 Revo T-Case Gears, HD tie rods, 3" body lift, 2" suspension lift, 1.5" diff drop, 33x10.5x15 BFG A/T,

1989 Trooper RS http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=81642&p=722882#p722882

Previous Troopers and Build Thread->http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=63260

"There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. One is called yesterday and the other is called tomorrow, so today is the right day to love, believe, do and mostly live."~ Dalai Lama

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.”Dr.Suess

Aaronmcvay84 wrote:I think with isuzus there is a more mature crowd that realizes the value of their hard work. They keep things.
imamonstertruck
I am the Stig

Postby imamonstertruck » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:04 pm

There is a huge tree farm called Green Wood Tree Farms in Oregon. On my travels for work, we stopped here and got a few photos of the Bulleit Woody (teardrop trailer bar) in these woods. Here is a shot with Elliot...

We had sopped in La Grande Oregon for fuel and food. We began to take notice that the 2.6 was consuming a bit of oil and was fortunate we bought extra as it was expensive at the station. We found a cool little mexican joint and had a delicious meal and a brew or two :wink: in eye shot of the RS...

Back on the road and with Elliot at the helm, I got some shut eye. He woke me up when he realized the gas station we pulled into looked closed...

Deja Vu. This exact scenario took place last fall when touring with the Bulleit Woody. At this very location in Wyoming. I was asleep and the other guy driving stopped and freaked as we were 3 miles to empty and the diesel was not available for the truck we were driving. We drove 11, horrid miles on "0 miles to empty" before hitting the next station.

Needless to say, I was nervous however the fuel light had not come on yet in the RS. We were fine.

I took over after that stop and got us to Nebraska...

Nebraska sunrise...

Elliot got us into Missouri...

Back on the wheel and found some wings...

My father had called about the time I took that photo in Nebraska of the sun rising. He knew we were on our way home and was checking in on us and also knew we were going to be passing through St. Louis. He was resetting a store in Jacksonville Missouri which was close enough for me to justify meeting up with pop. So I called him as we were running through Kansas City and made arrangements to meet at his hotel room, have pizza and some beers. Glad we did it.

Here is a shot of the sun setting behind us as we pull in to his hotel...

cont...

imamonstertruck
I am the Stig

Postby imamonstertruck » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:04 pm

The next morning we woke up, hit the free breakfast and head to Louisville.

After 6 hours we got back in town, dropped Elliot home, gave the RS a bath and pulled into the drive. As I got to the front door, Carol ran past me and hugged the little RS :roll: :lol:

I said, "what about me?" and she just threw her arms up and said that it was "so cute".

Glad she likes it :D the dogs love it too, especially the sliding back windows...

She calls it "Trooper Patrol"... :roll:

All in all, it is a solid truck. Very minor rust, 250K miles on the ticker and runs strong. I have underestimated these little 4 cylinder engines. :oops:

I have decided to pull the 2.6 from the RS I am parting and rebuild it with the help of J5. Fix the minor stuff. So more to come.

Cheers
-Ian :blackeye:

For this post the author imamonstertruck was thanked by:
ervan
imamonstertruck
I am the Stig

Postby bradzuzu » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:17 am

That was a good day huh !! I'm glad it all worked out for your trip home , the storie continues !!
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 363 times

Postby itsmehb » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:53 am

Congrats, I'll be on board for this one.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!
itsmehb
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 196 times

Postby ubs_lover » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:20 am

Hey, that's a nice RS. Congratulation for that RS. And a good story too :D
1995 Hi-Roof 1st Gen Trooper, 4ZD1, stock. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64293
1983 SWB LUV, C190 KBD41 Diesel 4WD N/A, MSG4K 4spd Tranny viewtopic.php?f=15&t=61309
1984 SWB Isuzu Trooper, C223 Diesel N/A, MSG5E 5spd Tranny, AVM manual hubs, Michelin A/T 7.50r16 on 16" steel wheels. Sold. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=33232
1990 LWB Trooper, 4JA1 Diesel N/A, MSG5K 5 spd Tranny, AVM manual hubs, 33"x12.5" M/T on alloy wheels. Sold.
1984 LWB Trooper, C223 Diesel N/A, stock. Sold.
ubs_lover
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 74 times

Postby VXorado » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:31 am

Looks like a fun trip, congrats on the RS!

I love having an RS, it looks great and is pretty fun to drive with the 5-speed. Pieces of mine are literally falling apart, yet it's still a solid driver. I just wish mine was as in good condition as your new ride... enjoy it! :D
99 Vehicross- RADO's Off-Road Rig --- SOLD (now isuzuless) :cry:
SAS completed, endless mods ensue. THREAD

89 Trooper RS---- SOLD
The Scrapper. THREAD
VXorado
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby tbecktold » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:01 pm

I'm pretty sure I saw this RS when you were in La Grande! Looked like a sweet little rig! And what a great road trip!
I've downgraded to just lusting after regular cab 4x4 Pickups.
tbecktold
Trail Master

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby leftarmtan » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:26 pm

Nice looking RS,Sounds like a memorable road trip too.Subscribed
89' trooper SAS 4.3
April 2014 ROTM
leftarmtan
Mud King

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby imamonstertruck » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:30 pm

Thanks everybody. :D

tbecktold wrote:I'm pretty sure I saw this RS when you were in La Grande! Looked like a sweet little rig! And what a great road trip!

Why didn't you yell at me :P

Next week, I am going to pull it in the shop and clean some things up. Carol is in Tampa all week, which means I can focus and get some stuff accomplished on her lil trooper and the house. Plus, work load this week is low.

I am trying to talk her into removing the mud flaps and flares. I just don't like the idea allowing the opportunity for moisture to sit in places. Also, any tips to keeping the window tracks clean and rust free?

cheers

imamonstertruck
I am the Stig

Postby wmorrisiii » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:16 pm

Great find! Beautiful RS! Sounds like the trip was a lot of fun.
Willie's 1990 Trooper LS, 2.8L
The Duck Marsh Debutante

Willie's 1987 Trooper LS, 2.3L
The Coonhound
wmorrisiii
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 171 times

Postby paulevans76 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:14 pm

New rig adventures are awesome, glad it worked out well for ya!
91 SAS Trooper - Neverending tinkering
Semi-hopped-up 3.4 + MUA5 + 3.07:1 low
Waggy D44 Front - 5.38's + RCV's + OX
Rodeo D44 Rear - 5.38's + Detroit
35" General Grabber X3's on Interco Birddogs
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 81 times

Postby mike71800b » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:43 pm

Congrats on the new RS find, that looks like a good one to score !
mike71800b
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby super-RS-trooper » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:44 pm

Ive been really wanting to know how you ended up getting it before me. I must have been the next guy in line! :( Any way Im glad to see you have it rather than someone else.
1989 trooper RS.......33 10.50 15 km2s jerry jemond cam, pacesetter header.

super-RS-trooper
Trail Rider

Have thanks: 11 times

Postby sammyafrikan » Sat May 09, 2015 8:49 pm

Just finally checkin' in to see if you actually made it back home. Glad it worked out for you, and hope you have fun fixin' it up. Thanks again for the snowflakes!
1991 Trooper | 5spd | 4cyl
Portland, OR
sammyafrikan
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby archmckinnon » Mon May 11, 2015 12:01 pm

Congratulations!!!

I've now seen more RS's on here than ever! We all should get together and have a Trooper RS group meeting!

It would be cool!!

Love your truck!!!!!

Arch
Arch McKinnon

Somewhere West of North.

Song singer, Story teller, Slayer of Dragon's, killer of Time, Enemy of any Man who has a good Lookin Woman, Outdoorsman, and I like Chilli.

1989 Isuzu Trooper LS- Original Owner

1989 Isuzu Trooper RS- former Proud Owner- sold to a Great Home!

Voted October 2015 Ride of the Month
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=61211

We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time. T. S. Eliot
archmckinnon
Trail Master

Have thanks: 25 times

Postby IsuzuGeek » Mon May 11, 2015 6:23 pm

Man, that thing looks really, really clean!!! Congrats!

Bart
:(
IsuzuGeek
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 197 times

Postby archmckinnon » Mon May 11, 2015 6:58 pm

I just noticed your RS has Fender Flares!!! Dude........you truly have the holy grail!!

Arch
Arch McKinnon

Somewhere West of North.

Song singer, Story teller, Slayer of Dragon's, killer of Time, Enemy of any Man who has a good Lookin Woman, Outdoorsman, and I like Chilli.

We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time. T. S. Eliot
archmckinnon
Trail Master

Postby IsuzuGeek » Mon May 11, 2015 7:43 pm

archmckinnon wrote:I just noticed your RS has Fender Flares!!! Dude........you truly have the holy grail!!

Yeah, those are the stock fender flares. I had a set of them I got from the junkyard years ago, but the fasteners were rusted to hell and a few were broken off. Those are definitely a rarity in intact form! I am jealous!

Bart
IsuzuGeek
I am the Stig

Postby imamonstertruck » Wed May 13, 2015 11:21 am

super-RS-trooper wrote:Ive been really wanting to know how you ended up getting it before me. I must have been the next guy in line! :( Any way Im glad to see you have it rather than someone else.

I am not sure really. Everything moved so quick and it just worked out in my favor. Carol is so happy with it and I do not have to hear about her wanting one anymore. :D

She named the little guy "Buster" and he is in good hands.

sammyafrikan wrote:Just finally checkin' in to see if you actually made it back home. Glad it worked out for you, and hope you have fun fixin' it up. Thanks again for the snowflakes!

Of course, thank you for everything and making it happen. Good to meet you.

archmckinnon wrote:Congratulations!!!

I've now seen more RS's on here than ever! We all should get together and have a Trooper RS group meeting!

It would be cool!!

Love your truck!!!!!

Arch

Thank you.

Yes, that would be a fun meet up for sure.

IsuzuGeek wrote:Man, that thing looks really, really clean!!! Congrats!

Bart

Thank you Bart.

I have been working/living on the road since I returned home with "Buster" but as soon as I get time, I will be "doing some changes" with "Buster".

cheers

imamonstertruck
I am the Stig

Re: imamonstertruck ~ 89 RS Trooper "Buster"

Postby imamonstertruck » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:18 am

Been a while since I have posted here and although nothing much has changed, "Buster" has been running pretty good. Occasionally there will be a surge in idle. The power steering has given up the ghost, I swear it is leaking more fluid than I put in :| Good thing I have the donor RS and a rebuild kit. A new coolant leak has sprung as well.

So... now he is in my shop getting some tlc...

"Buster" the RS is getting a face lift, bumper/bullbar from donor RS and maybe a set of round eyes from an 86 I pulled last summer. The dinged bumper is pulled and straightening up the bent valance and fender. I am also deleting the fender flares, mud flaps and possibly exterior trim. Carol is not sure if she wants removed but I am concerned with the salt seasons, deteriorates lurking. Pulling the trim from the donor RS left holes in the body. I told her I would reinstall anything she wanted back on.

As for know, I have a few weeks before I head west and I'll be on the road until November so now is the time to get some work done before winter.

cheers

imamonstertruck
I am the Stig

Postby IsuzuGeek » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:32 am

Looks good. I am getting back into my RS project too. It's a real mess.

Bart
IsuzuGeek
I am the Stig

Postby archmckinnon » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:22 am

It gives you the Goosebumps thinking about it!! Can't wait to see your work!

Arch
Arch McKinnon

Somewhere West of North.

archmckinnon
Trail Master

Postby itsmehb » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:48 am

I swear it is leaking more fluid than I put in :|

Good to see you back on Buster. Power steering fluid will leak where nothing else will. I put a new pressure line on mine and it leaked. I had to torque the fitting to the point I thought it would either break the wrench, the fitting, or my arm.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!
itsmehb
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 196 times

Next

Return to Member's Rides