Isuzu SUV Forum banner

2012 A Spacecab Odyssey

233K views 1K replies 54 participants last post by  DSUZU 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Okay, I'm finally getting around to making a build thread for my 1989 Spacecab. I have already replaced the clutch, rebuilt the front suspension, done a valve job, replaced the missing rear seats and changed the front to a bench seat. The next thing I wil do is remove the alarm system. I hate alarm systems!
Pulled it down from under the dash. As I began to undo it, it began screaming for it's life. At this point, I named it "Hal"
Alarm system 001.JPG

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Oh yeah, pictures of the truck[/attachment]
Alarm system 002.JPG
Alarm system 011.JPG

Next action will be doing the bodywork.

Attachments

#5 ·
Glad to see another thread on the SpaceCab! I will be watching.

#7 ·
Just removed the stock bucket seats and bolted the stock pickup bench seat in. The only problem is the regular bench seat from a pickup has no cover on the back of the seat, just the springs and foam. If you could luck out and find a front bench seat from an early Rodeo, it will have back upholstry. The Rodeo bench seat has 2 extra bolts that keep it from folding, just remove them and it will fold. Sad fact is that I had an excellent Rodeo bench seat stashed up in my attic until about 2 months before I bought the Spacecab. Dennis

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
I finally got a little done to the Spacer this weekend. First I swapped the larger diameter torsion bars from the V-6 Rodeo in to the Spacer. I forgot to take pictures of that. For the next part, it's gotta get a little worse before it gets better. I decided to swap out as much of the of the burgundy Rodeo interior as I could and use fabric paint / dye to do the rest. I think the charcoal gray / silver with the burgundy interior will look petty sharp. I've seen plenty of Chevy Silverados and Fords with red or burgundy interiors and I think it's different.
Ignition 005.JPG
Ignition 006.JPG
Ignition 007.JPG

For anyone planning to pull the entire dash from a first gen Rodeo or pickup, there are 3 electrical plugs on the drivers kick panel behind the ECM. You will also have to unhook all 3 of the HVAC cables

I added a picture of the dashless interior after cleaning and painting the brace bar.
003.JPG

Attachments

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
While I haven't posted anything in a while, I have been doing a little here and there. I took the burgundy dash from the donor Rodeo, and decided to clean it up and repaint it due to a bit of fading on the top. First I used a quart of SEM interior paint (70.00). I had chosen a red color, but after spraying the dash, I decided it was too far off from the original burgundy, and I was very disappointed that it took almost the entire quart to do just the dash. I estimate it would have easily taken another gallon to do the rest of the interior in red, and I didn't want to sink that much money into it. I bought a couple of rattle cans of Duplicolor burgundy, and resprayed the dash. Bummer, this time it came out more of a pinkish magenta color. I spent the next couple of weeks trying to find Rustoleum vinyl spray in a burgundy color. I ended up ordering a can off ebay from Summit Racing. It was reasonably priced and the burgundy color perfectly matches the original Isuzu burgundy. I sprayed a section of one part, and after drying, you can't tell what was painted and what was original. I will oreder about 4 more cans to redo the dash.
In the mean time, I have been workng on dying the headliner. I used powered RIT dye, and sprayed it from my siphon spray gun. After about 3 applications from the first batch, my headliner went from dingy gray, to dingy pink. I mixed another batch and added 2 teaspoons of black dye to darken it up. Now it was a darker pink. I bought the RIT crimson dye in liquid form and mixed it with about 16 ounces of warm water to 1/2 bottle of dye. Now we're starting to look more purpleish. After a second applicaton, it finally has a good burgundy appearance. I probably won't get the dash done and back in until after Thanksgiving
Headliner 002.JPG
headliner 001.JPG
Headliner 001 (2).JPG

Attachments

#11 ·
Good job Denis , be a pain in the rumpus to get that color change.. That's a nice clean pu , I really like the lay out of my 91 amigo..

#13 ·
I had a popup camper once, I nearly froze my butt off during one deer season. It was October and in the teens during the night. It snowed, I ran out of propane, the deer had left. I blamed it on the trailer! So I sold it to my kids, they used it and sold it to the other kids and they still have it in Colorado. And I have a hard sided travel trailer now. Still haven't found the big buck but can't blame the trailer!

#14 ·
And this time next week, I'll be setting up camp in that pop up. We've had that one for about 13 years now, It spent a couple of thse years in storage and had gotten wet and some wood rot. Afew years ago, I was going to sell it for salvage or fix up, and the buyer backed out at the last minute, so I got mad and basically rebuilt it myself. We've had some realy good times with it. Wife just had me looking at A-liners yesterday, but they are far from our budget, even used ones. While I'm looking forward to camping, I'm also looking forward to getting back, and getting back full steam on my pickup too. Dennis

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
One more shot that shows somewhat how it will look. The dash, as seen in this shot will have to come back out to be repainted. Once I've already done it, taking it out again will not be that bg of a deal. The seat and carpet will be redone in burgundy as well. The gray insert in the drivers door panel is the original plaid insert from the Spacer door panel. Once the Rodeo door handle is removed, the pickup panel fits right in. I lean towards keeping the gray plaid trim in gray, which would include the rear seat pad. I saved the panels from the original front seats and will probably incorporate them into a reupholstry of the front bench seat when all else is done.
Burgundy interior 001.JPG

Attachments

#17 ·
I gotta say that I do like the grey insert!

#20 ·
bradzuzu said:
That's looks good like that !! What's your plans for the truck when your done ??
Drive it, enjoy it, get back to my aviation archaeology hobby, where it wil come in handy. I might even finish the deck :D Dennis

#21 ·
Ahh projects that lead to projects , that lead to other projects !! I know that feeling.. I have rc planes in my attic , haven't flown them for years..

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
I used to have a REAL one in my garage at the old house. After the second child came along, and I hadn't done anything to it for a couple of years, it became time to go. Sold it and put the money towards buying a bigger house. I may get back to work on my ATV someday too.
Coot 3047 002.jpg

Attachments

#24 ·
It's a COOT ATV. They were made from the mid '60s to the early '80s. It's powered by a 12 HP air cooled Tecumseh lawnmower type engine. It has full time true all 4 wheel drive. It's amphibious, and there is an optional 9" propeller that drives off the rear axle gearbox (there are no differentials, just a final drive of about 14:1. The best part, it is "articulated". It pivots in the center allowing the front and rea hulls each to twist about 45 degrees off center, yes, up to about 90 degrees opposite each other. Mine has also been converted to 4 wheel steering. This was an option that was offered, and not toodifficut to make a conversion if one could scrounge up the extra steering parts. More information at Cootworld http://cootworld.freeforums.org/ Yes, these are as addictive as Isuzus. I'll have to add a thread on "other vehicles" :D Dennis

#26 ·
Each tub will articulate about 45 degrees from horizontal. You obviously lock the hulls if you go amphibious. There have been some exciting experiences when people were climbing steep hills and one wheel broke ground first and the front tub decides to twist :!: . The drive is all mechanical with a snowmobile type belt and variable pulley drive from the engine to the transmission. The tranny is all gear, forward, reverse, and high range. Top speed is only about 20 MPH, but it will climb a brick wall. One of the advertisements they used to use was to nose it up to a wall and accelerate it until the front wheels litterally climbed the wall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.