Simple Utilitarian Vehicle - 1991 Trooper LS

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

Simple Utilitarian Vehicle - 1991 Trooper LS

Postby m_force » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:18 pm

Hello All,

First of all, thank you all for you help over the years. I currently have a 1997 Rodeo that is on its last legs, and I wouldn't be squeezing the last life out of it if it weren't for all of your help and support. So, knucks to that.

I recently bought a 1991 Trooper LS to replace my ever-aging Rodeo, so I'll give you the quick rundown on it and my immediate as well as my long term plans with it.

FAST FACTS BROUGHT TO YOU BY ISUZU MOTORS OF AMERICA
1991 Isuzu Trooper LS
2.8 l GM V6 (179,xxx miles)
5 speed
Midnight Blue/Silver with grey interior
Power windows
Missing exhaust manifold bolt as well as bits of the gasket
Heater core blew up
One power lock on the passenger door that has been disabled

DAY ONE
It tried to kill me. No really, it had sat for a while according to Rick, who I purchased it from, but he had been using it as a farm vehicle in central Oregon. Decently clean, it has a few dings and one semi-major dent on the front fender from when "an animal hit it in the night." I got down to pick it up late in the evening, and it fired right up. after I let it warm up, I took it out and hit the road.... then proceeded to die. I needed a jump, let it charge once more, then finally set off. after getting a bit of fresh gas, i set off for its first test- a 40 mile freeway journey home. It required a lot of mashing of the gas pedal to the floor, and a consistent loss of power in fifth gear. Long story short, it nearly died about 8 times on the way home. Once it was parked on a steep drive way, I turned off the key and just sat there for a sec as I heard (what I thought) was a loss of pressure in the radiator. I was sorta right:

That is the heater core-turned-into-violent-evil-firehose-of-death. the piece that is missing broke off as soon as I parked on the steep driveway, and (I assume) that the pressure in the hose was too great for the 25 year old plastic cover. It broke off, burned the ever loving ---- out of my leg, and filled up the cab with hot antifreeze vapor. I managed to crawl into the back seat and jump out one of the passenger doors, run inside, and play medic the rest of the night.

DAY TWO
Leg hurt like hell, but I managed to block off the heat so the core is shut completely off right now. I pulled it down, gave it a bath, then took some glam shots:

Charged the battery, cleaned all the antifreeze off the floor, and started drying it out. Went around and checked all the fuses, bulbs, connections and was pleasantly surprised at how complete it was, I'll only need one turn signal bulb. The driver headlight has some water in it, which probably isn't ideal, so that will need to get sorted out. crawled underneath and again, was reminded that a 179,000 mile car wasn't going to look terrible from below, save the few pinhole exhaust leaks.

DAY THREE
The Passenger door was a bit sticky, and wouldn't open without pulling the tab and either of the door handles. I took off the door panel and saw that there was a motor at the bottom of the door with an arm going to the lock cylinder. took that arm off, and what do you know, it works perfectly. So I assume that there was at one point an aftermarket alarm on it, probably.

PLANS FOR THE IMMEDIATE FUTURE, IN ORDER OF IMPORTANCE

1. New exhaust manifold/gasket on passenger side
2. Take new 265/70/16 tires and wheels off of Rodeo and put them on Trooper
3. Fix the heater core debacle
4. Fluid flushes all around
5. General tune up
6. Drive it
7. Ski
8. Install radio
9. Fab up some sleeker off road bumpers front and rear
10. Fab up ladder for small door on back

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read through this, and I look forward to talking and getting to know the rest of this awesome community.

-m_force
m_force
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 1 time

Sponsor

Re: Simple Utilitarian Vehicle - 1991 Trooper LS

Postby m_force » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:19 pm

Hello All,
Finally had a chance to post and give everyone a quick update on the Troop.

After pulling everything back, I realized that the exhaust manifold bolts were missing on the passenger side, hence the loud and nasty exhaust leak. Got new bolts in it, gaskets, starter, battery, temp and O2 sensor, and who would of thought! Its an awesome little ride. Before i was finished, I found a donor Troop at a junkyard with low miles and a rolled roof to pull the heater core out of. The heater core switch will happen next week at some time, but its no longer snowing so the need isn't urgent, yet.

After putting on 100 miles this weekend, I had a few things that I came to notice. in first and second gear, during low revs, there is a whine that i am having trouble tracing out. Belt? Transmission? Bueller?

Also, not sure if it is purging air bubbles, but when I park after running for awhile it has a little blow back into the reserve reservoir....?

Also, I will be replacing that thermostat this week just for good measure. Not that I am afraid of the pressure caused by overheating cars or anything....

Tires will also be put on this week. I have a set of 265/75/16s and my aluminum rodeo rims that'll fill in the wheel well nicely. But all in all, I can say I get it now. These cars are simple, tough, and built for whatever you throw at them. Consider the Kool-Aid drunk.

Lastly, I hate the square headlamps. When I hunt down a grille and buckets for the round ones, how do I go about mounting it?

Thanks guys -- John
m_force
Drives on Pavement

Postby m_force » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:19 pm

Got the wheel stud fixed today, had a break in the rain just long enough to give it a wash and take some pics for you.
m_force
Drives on Pavement

Postby m_force » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:28 pm

Had a long enough break in the rain to get the Rodeo wheels moved over to the troop.
I am hoping that due to the fact that the wheels are considerably lighter than the steel 15" that were on there, when I mount the 265/75/16s the weight wont be too much of a factor. traced the whine to the clutch, as it goes away once the clutch is depressed so a new clutch replacement is on the horizon as well. Gonna replace the heater core this weekend, thanks to a low-mileage 1990 Troop with a rolled roof from which it came. Then, I get to mount a radio and find some speakers- It reminds me of being in my of Datsun rolling down the freeway listening to engine revs and road noise.

As always, I appreciate all the suggestions and tips.

-- John
m_force
Drives on Pavement

Postby Ed Mc. » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:58 pm

m_force wrote:Also, not sure if it is purging air bubbles, but when I park after running for awhile it has a little blow back into the reserve reservoir....?

Also, I will be replacing that thermostat this week just for good measure. Not that I am afraid of the pressure caused by overheating cars or anything....

I had an issue with coolant blowing back into the reservoir and it was the old radiator cap. The gasket was hardened and wouldn't seal properly on the radiator neck. I'm using the Stant 10233 on mine, the Gates 31336 is also a good one. They're both rated 16 psi.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/isuz ... r+cap,2068

BTW the wheels look good!
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 202 times

Postby DSUZU » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:03 pm

Right off the bat I noticed that your radiator shroud is missing. That's going to make it run hot (hotter). Might eb=ven have a leaking head gasket for that much pressure (more rare on V-6s). Run it and check for bubbles in the radiator. otherwise, nice score. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060

The American dream is getting farther and farther away from the American.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 606 times

Postby Ed Mc. » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:18 pm

Now that you mention it, is there even a fan? Looks like maybe the pic was taken with the engine running and it's an optical illusion, but I don't see a fan mounted to the clutch.

BTW the fan should be blowing hard at a hot idle, if it isn't then the clutch is probably bad. Check Rockauto or eBay for a deal on a replacement clutch.
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 202 times

Postby hessmess » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:14 pm

Nice score! On the headlights there are several writeups on how to do it. Just do a search. When you find the donor make sure you get the wiring pigtails for the headlights also. Then it is usually a simple matter of matching up the wire colors. It is an easy swap. I was going to suggest that it was the throw out bearing. Sounds like it was. Man that was a close call on the heater core! I never had had one go out but have several in reserve when one does. If you decide to replace the exhaust make sure you oversize it to 2.25. These trucks are choked up from the factory for breathing. Another quick way to open it up is to flip the air filter cover. Some of us have replaced the intake with an oversized one and a bigger throttle body. It will give a few more HP. Just keep asking the questions. We do our best to give answers.
86 Trooper (sold to brother) wrecked and recycled
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=81567
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, AMC head, Delta 260 cam, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD
viewtopic.php?t=55081
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 141 times

Postby m_force » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:10 pm

DSUZU wrote:Right off the bat I noticed that your radiator shroud is missing. That's going to make it run hot (hotter). Might eb=ven have a leaking head gasket for that much pressure (more rare on V-6s). Run it and check for bubbles in the radiator. otherwise, nice score. Dennis

There is not a fan shroud, any 2.8 one will work, right? I was also looking into going the route of an electric fan set up, taking the weight of the seemingly cast-iron fan off the engine.
m_force
Drives on Pavement

Postby m_force » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:13 pm

Ed Mc. wrote:Now that you mention it, is there even a fan? Looks like maybe the pic was taken with the engine running and it's an optical illusion, but I don't see a fan mounted to the clutch.

BTW the fan should be blowing hard at a hot idle, if it isn't then the clutch is probably bad. Check Rockauto or eBay for a deal on a replacement clutch.

It's there, I asked the same question when I saw the picture. It spins freely when not running, so i think the clutch is decent. It's no longer purging air, so I think its all good and back to normal. Just in time for me to replace the heater core.
m_force
Drives on Pavement

Postby m_force » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:21 pm

hessmess wrote:Nice score! On the headlights there are several writeups on how to do it. Just do a search. When you find the donor make sure you get the wiring pigtails for the headlights also. Then it is usually a simple matter of matching up the wire colors. It is an easy swap. I was going to suggest that it was the throw out bearing. Sounds like it was. Man that was a close call on the heater core! I never had had one go out but have several in reserve when one does. If you decide to replace the exhaust make sure you oversize it to 2.25. These trucks are choked up from the factory for breathing. Another quick way to open it up is to flip the air filter cover. Some of us have replaced the intake with an oversized one and a bigger throttle body. It will give a few more HP. Just keep asking the questions. We do our best to give answers.

I am excited to get my hands on one and swap them out. I'm definitely part of the party that loves the fact that Japanese automakers are the greatest tribute artists of all time (Jaguar E-Type = Datsun 240, Range Rover = Troop, etc.) It's just the perfect look. Also, why are these things so choked up? I am planning on replacing the exhaust in a while from the Y down, tightening it closer to the body and getting rid of some of the collected rust spots. But just trying to get all the gunk from sitting for who knows how long worked out of it. I'll absolutely flip the air cleaner today and give that a shot, I got to go down in to PDX so I think that'll be a good test in the difference.
m_force
Drives on Pavement

Postby hessmess » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:49 pm

I am not sure why they did not open up the intake on these, maybe a smog thing? I have the oversized manifold and throttle body on mine and the flipped intake. What brought it all together was the oversized exhaust. I went with a glasspak first for the muffler, but I have now switched it to a tubo, way quieter but still a nice sound.
Check out this web site. Geoff has done some excellent things and a nice job of providing documentation. I have mirrored a bunch of his mods. I think he is in the middle of building a new one but he has not done a writeup thus far.
https://www.geoffinbc.com/

It will give you some good reading for awhile.
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, AMC head, Delta 260 cam, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD
viewtopic.php?t=55081
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Postby m_force » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:51 pm

Whew, so a few updates the last few days. Went to the library to pick up some reading for a planned road trip this summer, parked, saw another spot open up closer, went to start it up and...... nothing. Alternator was toast. So got that swapped out with a nice new 100 amp unit and we were back in business. Had to work in Hillsboro for the weekend (about 40 miles round trip) and it was a dream! What a wonderful world with a five speed transmission... I remember having to take my Datsun 620. on the same route and it was not nearly as comfortable or quiet. Got home though and noticed a little pool start to form under the slave cylinder. Thought swapping that out was going to be a quick 20 min job, but ended up better being closer to 200 minutes as I wasn't aware that these gravity bleed.

Anyway, the whine I've mentioned before I think might be the throw out bearing, because as I depress the clutch it goes away. I was planning when I have a free weekend to swap the clutch out anyway, but I was curious if anyone here has had a similar issue.
m_force
Drives on Pavement

Postby hessmess » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:15 pm

It does indeed sound like the throw out bearing. I can't say I have had the problem with a Trooper but did on several of my older cars back,,, well never mind, just a long time ago.
I did my slave cylinder a few years ago and bought it from Auto Zone for cheap. 6 months later I ended up replacing it again, this time with an OEM from Jerry, no problems since. Sometime is it worth it to buy a better quality.
88 Trooper (recycled)
viewtopic.php?t=55081
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Return to Member's Rides