Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Excessive idle with aircon on - '99 amigo

253 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Musicman9016 
#1 ·
Hi all,

So after searching through the forum with a lot of head scratching i thought i'd finally make a post as everything i've read seems to be the opposite to what i've read so far.

I have recently purchased another 4x4. This time a '99 amigo a.k.a. holden frontera sport.
It seems logical for it to idle around 1100rpm when cold till it warms up before dropping back to 900rpm once at temperature. However, this is where a lot of other posts differ. When i turn the aircon on it jumps up between 2000 and 3000rpm cold and 1500 to 2000rpm when warm.

All other posts i've read are saying idle increases as the engine warms up. Plus also totally different vehicles.

I know there's a fault somewhere, just wondering if someone can please point me in the right direction.

Things i have already checked;
Intake manifold
Vacuum hoses
Throttle body
Throttle adjustment screw
Power steering pump sensor
Electric fan

Another thing i've found is the cabin fan doesn't seem to really push a lot of air out and i've read something about a possible clogged filter under the dash. In what part of the big chunk of hardware behind the glovebox is this filter located?

Many thanks in advance for any help given.

See less See more
#2 ·
The idle is obviously not correct. Even a manual trans with A/C on shouldn't be above 11000 RPM. An auto in gear might be around 700 RPM. My first two checks would be the idle control motor and the engine coolant temp sensor.

#3 ·
I second that and is there any CEL codes? Don't know about the cabin air filter,maybe clogged or divider door stuck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.