Isuzu SUV Forum banner

oil filter size, Is bigger better?

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Sh_YVR 
#1 ·
Anyone know what the stock oil filter size is or does anyone know of a large capacity oil filter for the 3.2 they like.

I know the thread. is 20 x 1.5mm the filter I took off was 3.4" long x 3" OD. gasket is 2.4" OD.

There is plenty of room to put a larger filter, I was thinking of going with the WIX: 51182.

Any thoughts.

#2 ·
I have used WIX 51344 for over a decade on our two 1999 Troopers. As long as the threads, gasket seal and pressure figures meet OEM specs there should be no problem.

A bigger filter also has more media to trap particles. It also provides a little additional oil cooling surface and volume (assuming you add additional oil to fill the filter). These seem to be at least marginally good things, certainally not bad ones.

#3 ·
It is definitely better. More media area means more flow and longer life.

Wixfilters.com has a handy filter lookup by size. Make sure the filter you choose has the same features as the original like anti drain back valve and bypass (yes/no and pressure). I use a filter on my Infiniti that is more than double the size of the stock one. On my Trooper I am using a huge 1qt size filter on a remote mount.

#4 ·
Thanks for the responses guys, the 51344 looks good as its a full 3/4 of an inch longer than my "stock size" wix filter. I also found one listed the WL7192, its a full 2" longer than stock and looks like it will work has all the features but doesn't show what pressure it opens at it just says "yes". I sent an email to wix to see if they have the bypass pressure. It would be nice to keep an extra qt in there. this 3.2 loves to eat oil.

#5 ·
A 51324 is a nice big one. That's what I use on my Infiniti. One problem you will find on some of the big stuff is they are typically used on diesel equipment so they are not always on the shelf depending on the store.

#6 ·
I've seen Amsoil has a 'by-pass' filter kit., which lets you add a second filter with a fine mesh that trickles oil thru it. (anyone try this ? ) .
I don't think an extra qt in the oil filter will help the oil level...(or am I wrong about that? hard to visualize!)
I think the oil pan would have to have more capacity....
It would be nice to be able to upgrade the oil pan to have another qt in there....
Come to think of it .. there's supposed to be a bluetooth diptick out there somewhere..

#7 ·
If you have enough debris in your oil that a bigger filter actually makes a difference, you have much larger engine problems and the filter is the least of your concerns (assuming regular oil changes).

#8 ·
Debris is not my concern, Its a the amount of oil in the system. My 3.2 likes oil, about 1qt every 1000 miles. I figured if the system has more oil in it via a larger filter. I wont have to be so worried on long trips, I already carry a gallon in the back to top it up at fill ups, well about every 4th or 5th fill up anyway.

#9 ·
egagnon086 said:
. . . I figured if the system has more oil in it via a larger filter. I wont have to be so worried on long trips, I already carry a gallon in the back to top it up at fill ups.. . .
I think you will have to top off the oil exactly as now even with a larger filter.

Imagine you have a oil filter over-sized by 1 gallon. You add your extra gallon of oil to fill that filter. Your engine will still burn the same amount of oil. Morever the oil pump will continue to try and keep that filter full and fluid circulating back to the engine. That being the case, you have not reduced the potential to run the oil pump low on oil by having your extra gallon of oil in the filter.

#11 ·
the amount mine burns varies - 1 time I added 5w50 , and it seemed to burn less. I've almost always used synthetic - the last time was the new pennzoil and it seemed to drop faster. so who knows.. On the plus at least the oil isn't going to wear out. The most I've ever been down is about is 1.5 qts. freaked me out a bit but no oil light and long time ago now...
the trick would be... modifying it without introducing some new problem. Maybe a company could modify the oil pan.. by adding another chamber with some type of connector..either on it or tucked under the skid plate, at the right level so it just gives more capacity.... Anyone familiar with the pan have any ideas?
also it's probably ok to overfill by 1/4 qt.......
Does anyone know how much a 3.2 can be safely over filled ? 2000rodeo

#12 ·
my pickup and my Subaru use the same oil filter which is amazing. after rebuilding my 4DZ1 i started using K&N oil filters. my pickups oil filter is the same size but my WRX filter is now smaller and the K&N part numbers are no longer the same between the two vehicles. does size really matter? my 2.0 turbo'd Subaru K&N is now smaller hmm..

#13 ·
The probably just updated the database for a 'closer match' .. or for other reasons like based on what they manufacture. I don't know why its such a small filter..and in my manual it says to change every 14.000 miles. (unless its severe service) . There are 2nd filter/bypass kits for 3-4micron..... I'd like to avoid oil changes places... they charge a fortune now.... and strip threads etc..... Diesel and heavy duty trucks use them... will it help the 3.2 ???
It may be better simply to get a top end filter - has more surface area..... etc..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.