Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Help: '97 Trooper rear window regulators, power>manual conv.

1K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  5009TWI 
#1 ·
A few months ago, I performed the infamous plastic window clip repair for both front windows on my 1997 Trooper. In the process, I decided to convert both from power to manual and have been happy with the results (although having to remove the switches seems to have disabled the power locks; bummer). The time has come to tackle the inoperable back windows. Problem is, despite looking multiple times, I have not even been able to find a picture of the manual version of the rears (the 1st gen ones appear to be entirely different).

On ebay, I noticed that the 1998-ish Rodeo's electric rear regulators look incredibly similar to the Trooper's (one of the door frame mounting brackets is perhaps a bit different on the ones I looked at), and was wondering if they're interchangeable. Adding to this, I only ever see a few front regulators on Ebay at any given time, which makes me wonder if this is indeed the case, and therefore the ones I see AND the ones I bought are/were actually for/from Rodeos.

I've seen a few regulators for the Trooper that don't include the power motor, but unfortunately also lack the gear it drive to move everything.

#2 ·
Note to others; floatzilla's embedded quote was taken from my New Member Introduction thread so that the discussion could take place here.

floatzilla said:
Hey there. When I bought my 94 trooper one of the windows didn't work either. The issue was actually with the switch in the drivers door. The contacts underneath weren't touching anymore, I guess they wore out. Anyways, I know it sounds dumb but have you checked them?
The contacts looked great and I should have provided more details. When I last had the switch in, each of the four regulators' motors was indeed receiving power. The two rears for some reason just wouldn't or couldn't actuate the regulator assembly, although they were audibly trying. The front regs. were moving too, but in that situation, the broken plastic clips were the problem.

The rear windows themselves can be moved up and down by hand (although I always have to jam each up with a door-stopper); when I move them and look into the door from above, I can see that the linkage cable in each case is moving.

#3 ·
Hey dude! So the rear windows are still power and you're trying to get those operable again?

BJ

#4 ·
I sensed that floatzilla was aiming to help me repair the rear windows as they are, and I was responding to his suggestions/advice.

I should have differentiated my use of "power" a bit better. They are still the original electric-motor setup, but are currently broken (the motors themselves worked when I had the switch connected, but something was preventing them from actuating the assembly).

However that doesn't matter as my plan is to convert them to manual (i.e. you grab a crank-handle and roll up the window yourself), which is what this thread was created to ask for help with.

#5 ·
Ok I gotcha. Well, that's way over my cabeza so good luck lol

BJ

#6 ·
Regardless, thanks for chipping in!

#7 ·
No hay de queso nomas de papa . . . .not a problem ; )

#8 ·
Update for anybody in a similar situation who was hoping the Rodeo regs would be compatible. Short answer: no.

Jerry Lemond told me that the doors are totally different and trying to put Rodeo regs into Trooper doors would require extensive modification, so I hunted and finally found some proper Trooper regs.

#9 ·
A final update: The regs I found were from a '95 Trooper. Elsewhere here I recall reading that a common failure is a "plastic piece" that connects the movement cable to the bracket that hold the two plastic glass clips. On each reg I bought, this "plastic piece" was covered in cracks (yet somehow in each case was still holding together very well).

Also, the cable guide rail on my Trooper's original electric regs has two door-frame mounting brackets near the top. But the replacement ones each only have one mounting bracket. Maybe the design was improved after two years, or maybe they figured the torque from an electric motor would require a more secure mounting. Anybody looking to do something similar may want to try and find later regs for better long-term sturdiness.

The swap was simple. Hardest part was approximating the location on the interior plastic door panel to drill the hole for the hand-crank's post. Looking forward to back seat passengers asking why their window switches aren't working and what that handle near their legs is for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.