help with 1991 trooper headlight lens install

This forum is for the discussion of general Isuzu related information

Moderator: Staff

help with 1991 trooper headlight lens install

Postby ZDSF2 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:01 pm

how do you remove a headlight lens on a 1991 trooper.....just not sure how to start this....does the grill have to come off? and where are the screws that remove the lens? thanks for any help....i'm lost .?!!!
Thanks in Advance for any help....
ZDSF2
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: help with 1991 trooper headlight lens install

Postby shooter » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:38 am

I believe the headlamp is a one piece sealed beam unit. Probably need to disconnect the electrical connector, remove grille and then headlamp assembly. Don't confuse the beam adjustment screws with the attachment screws. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISUZU-TROOPER-L ... 78&vxp=mtr
1989 Isuzu Trooper S/ 4WD / 2.6 Litre 4 Cyl 4ZE1 Converted to Weber 32/36 Carb / 5-speed Manual (MUA5) / Warn Premium Hubs / Fancy Radio / Deluxe Intermittent Combination Wiper Switch

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints

Some people are like Slinkies; they are not good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

For this post the author shooter was thanked by:
ZDSF2
shooter
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 149 times

Postby ZDSF2 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:38 am

Thanks Shooter! It's not a sealed beam and I'm trying to find the screws that hold the housing and not the beam advustment screws...still looking....thanks again
ZDSF2
Drives on Dirt

Postby DSUZU » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:16 am

It's not a sealed beam, but it is just like one as far as mounting and adjustment. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060

The American dream is getting farther and farther away from the American.
I'll gladly give up my gun...when I can replace it with a "blaster"

For this post the author DSUZU was thanked by:
ZDSF2
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 283 times

Postby shaggydoink » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:53 pm

ZDSF2 wrote:Thanks Shooter! It's not a sealed beam and I'm trying to find the screws that hold the housing and not the beam advustment screws...still looking....thanks again

Any luck?
1990 Trooper S - 2.6L, 5-speed (my truck)
1991 Trooper S - 2.8L V6, 4-speed auto (maintained for littleredtrooper)
1992 Amigo XS - 2.6L, 5-speed (latest project for the rookie)
Mascot candidate for Darlington Off-Road Racing (online @ darlington-offroad-racing.com)
Proud supporter of Tread Lightly! and Friends of Uwharrie
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 217 times

Postby shooter » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:16 pm

Ok, so it must be a halogen. Been too long since I converted to roundeye. I believe with the replaceable halogen bulb, the actual assembly is a single unit though I reckon with an instrument and heat, you could separate the glass from the metal and then reseal it.
1989 Isuzu Trooper S/ 4WD / 2.6 Litre 4 Cyl 4ZE1 Converted to Weber 32/36 Carb / 5-speed Manual (MUA5) / Warn Premium Hubs / Fancy Radio / Deluxe Intermittent Combination Wiper Switch

Some people are like Slinkies; they are not good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

For this post the author shooter was thanked by:
ZDSF2
shooter
Donor
Donor

Postby johninlv » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:53 pm

The lens is sealed to the metal reflector with what looks like black RTV. You used to be able to buy just the lens to replace it was cracked. Some have had problems with moisture being trapped in side the unit and rusting the reflector. Dealer pricing on a headlight unit are quite high. They take a 9004 bulb.

John in LV
2 1990 Trooper 5 speeds 2.8L V-6. One in Marysville WA is stock and un-molested. Las Vegas Trooper Fiero Valve covers, Roller rockers,31x10.50 BFG AT on 8" rims, Sway-a-way Torsion bars, OME leaf springs and shocks. One piece drive line. ARB locker in rear. Balljoint flip with spacers. Big brake conversion. 308,000 miles using RedLine synthetics in trans and Diffs.
CAN'T SPELL, TO OLD TO LEARN NOW. GOD BLESS YOU IF YOU CAN.

For this post the author johninlv was thanked by:
ZDSF2
johninlv
Trail Rider

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby ZDSF2 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:44 pm

thanks guys!!! i got one at JC Whitney for 30 bucks out the door shipped to my house.......it looks like there might be a spring holding the lens/reflector assembly in place.....i have to take off the grill (getting around my huge brush guard) and look closer.....still waiting for the part....my bulb is great just the silver metal around the reflector is a rusty pile in the lens (still sealed and unbroke/cracked).....u guys are saving me a headache so thanks again!!
ZDSF2
Drives on Dirt

Postby outofrshell » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:23 am

It also helps to remove the turn signal assembly DAVE
1989 Trooper 2.8/ 3.2 built V6, 5speed
Revolution gears
ARB Rear locker
ARB Front locker
SWAY-AWAY HD TORSION BARS
Self made Longer shackles
1998 Trooper front disc brakes and front seats
Self made HD Tie rods
Self made bumpers and grill guard w/ KC & Hella lights
Self made sliders
Waren VRS 8000 winch set up to use at either end of Trooper
Custom made cargo box w/ full length roll out drawers
31-10.50-15 on Cragar black steel wheels

For this post the author outofrshell was thanked by:
ZDSF2
outofrshell
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 23 times

Postby ZDSF2 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:34 pm

hey guys the "lens" from JC Whitney was totally wrong....they don't even carry the lens for the 91 Trooper!! so anyone know where to get a decent priced lens.......??
ZDSF2
Drives on Dirt

Postby shooter » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:47 pm

Don't believe there is any such thing as a replacement lens. How about posting a pic for clarification.

shooter
Donor
Donor

Postby imamonstertruck » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:52 pm

I believe I have the headlamps from my 91 pre roundeye conversion.

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:
-91 Trooper, 3.4 V6, 5speed, 4.77 gears, HD tie rods, 3" body lift, 2" suspension lift, 33x10.5x15 BFG A/T,
Round Eye Swap (JDM marker lamps).

Previous Troopers and Build Thread->http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=63260

click to download---->1988 Isuzu Trooper Workshop Manual

click to download---->1988 Isuzu Trooper Electrical Troubleshooting Manual

"There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. One is called yesterday and the other is called tomorrow, so today is the right day to love, believe, do and mostly live."~ Dalai Lama

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.”Dr.Suess

Aaronmcvay84 wrote:I think with isuzus there is a more mature crowd that realizes the value of their hard work. They keep things.
imamonstertruck
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 121 times

Postby ZDSF2 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:04 pm

thanks Ian!! i'm interested .....mine is the square lens with two holes for a regular bulb and a small bulb (like a parking light bulb).....it is about 10 inches in width and 6.5 in height ........Shooter thanks always for your help.....it is a semi sealed lens with a hole in the back for two separte bulbs.....the bulbs are fine ...lens reflector is old and flaky!! and the dealership wants 137 bucks without shipping .....thanks you guys!!
ZDSF2
Drives on Dirt

Postby shooter » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:51 pm

Yep. Though it does, as you suggest, consist of frame, reflector, lens, it is manufactured and sold as a single assembly or unit. You're right, those headlamps are pricey even in the used market.

shooter
Donor
Donor

Postby imamonstertruck » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:36 am

ZDSF2 wrote:thanks Ian!! i'm interested .....mine is the square lens with two holes for a regular bulb and a small bulb (like a parking light bulb).....it is about 10 inches in width and 6.5 in height ........Shooter thanks always for your help.....it is a semi sealed lens with a hole in the back for two separte bulbs.....the bulbs are fine ...lens reflector is old and flaky!! and the dealership wants 137 bucks without shipping .....thanks you guys!!

I will pm you tomorrow evening sometime after work and let you know.

cheers
-91 Trooper, 3.4 V6, 5speed, 4.77 gears, HD tie rods, 3" body lift, 2" suspension lift, 33x10.5x15 BFG A/T,

Previous Troopers and Build Thread->http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=63260

"There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. One is called yesterday and the other is called tomorrow, so today is the right day to love, believe, do and mostly live."~ Dalai Lama

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.”Dr.Suess

Aaronmcvay84 wrote:I think with isuzus there is a more mature crowd that realizes the value of their hard work. They keep things.
imamonstertruck
I am the Stig

Postby imamonstertruck » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:36 pm

pm me

cheers

imamonstertruck
I am the Stig

Postby ZDSF2 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:54 pm

Hey Ian is this light installed with screws and springs?....and do the adjustment screws have to come out too?...I haven't opened up my grill yet (I have a brush guard that might be trouble too! Thanks for the pic...I'm still interested. ~Zack
ZDSF2
Drives on Dirt

Postby imamonstertruck » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:47 am

Zack, the red circles are where the springs mount, at the top of the lamp assembly, they yellow circles indicate where the adjustment screws are one the top/outside and the inside position of the assemblies, if you are looking at the front of the truck. The blue circles are fragile plastic pieces that that allow the lamp to pivot on a ball. These are set into the buckets mounted to the front of the truck and a nut is fastened. When you replace your assemblies, do your best to keep these as one day you may find your lamp sagging due to a broken tab. It has happened to me. Hope this helps.

Once you get this thing opened up, you will see that it is pretty simple. Usually, I will get needle nose pliers and remove the spring, then remove the nut on the pivot ball thingy, then loosen one of the adjustment screws and it should come out easy.

cheers

imamonstertruck was thanked by:
993twinZDSF2
imamonstertruck
I am the Stig

Postby ZDSF2 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:42 pm

Monster thank you so much.....that is the direction i needed being the light is so weird.....i can't mess it up now right!! dude u saved me !! thanks again!
ZDSF2
Drives on Dirt

Postby imamonstertruck » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:55 pm

That is why we are here, to help eachother out right? No sweat. Let me know if you need anything else and if you will need the lamps I have.

cheers

imamonstertruck
I am the Stig

Postby 993twin » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:11 pm

Just a public "Thank You" to Ian "imamonstertruck" not only for providing me with an exc condition used headlight at a reasonable price to replace the rusty one on my 90 Troop., but also the very clear and precise write up on how to actually replace the headlight in ten minutes! Wow that was easy!

Thanks Ian!
1990 Trooper 2.6L 5 Speed totally stock. My second one...the first was a walnut brown 1990 Trooper I bought brand new!
993twin
Rodeo King

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby imamonstertruck » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:46 pm

you are welcome :D

cheers

imamonstertruck
I am the Stig

Return to General Isuzu Discussion